Fly Tying
flytire

hmh trv review

Most interesting Dean...but I still do not get a definitive answer to the full range of hook sizes the vise will handle. Also...As I've stated before this is easily the best platform I've ever tied on, but I need it to be able to handle those 5/0 salmon hooks with the protective plastic around the hook to avoid damaging the finish on the custom hand made hooks I use. So far that is not the case...or I'd be tying on one right now!!!

Thanks for the info and video.

2 minutes ago, SalarMan said:

Most interesting Dean...but I still do not get a definitive answer to the full range of hook sizes the vise will handle. Also...As I've stated before this is easily the best platform I've ever tied on, but I need it to be able to handle those 5/0 salmon hooks with the protective plastic around the hook to avoid damaging the finish on the custom hand made hooks I use. So far that is not the case...or I'd be tying on one right now!!!

I suppose it depends on the thickness of the plastic you use (and the gauge of wire used on your hooks). I tie 9/0s easily on mine (without plastic) and 11/0s with just a little bit less confidence. If you wanted to send me some of your plastic, or tell me it's thickness, I could try a 5/0 in my vise and let you know.

19 minutes ago, SalarMan said:

Mr. Salar this may be obvious but you said you spoke with John Larabee.  I'm guessing at a fishing show?  Have you considered bringing one of your 5/0 hooks and plastic to the show to see  if they'll fit?  I know you have a R-Master but at least you would know for sure one way or the other.

Dean & Mark

Here is my history with the TRV...and my freely admitted obsession with the vise.

The first one I saw and tried was Jon Larabee's personal vise at the 2018 Fly Fishing Show in Edison, NJ. I had 2 hooks with me and the plastic I was using at the time...pretty much what I am using today. The hooks were a 3/0 and a 5/0 blind eye salmon hook and neither would fit into the jaws. Jon and I talked a bit and he was understanding of what we salmon fly tyers needed and he was working on it. At the 2019 Fly Fishing & Wing Shooting Expo in the Poconos here in PA a couple of months later I saw one for sale by one of the exhibitors. Borrowed a 5/0 hook from a friends booth, wrapped a business card piece around the hook and it worked fine...voila!! What I learned at home was the vise would handle any of the hooks for my classics no problem. However it would not hold anything smaller than a size 8 because the jaws wouldn't close any closer than that. I sold the vise. Then I bought another and that one was the same as Jon's...nothing bigger than a 2/0. The video on HMH's web site with Gunnar Brammer is where he states anything from 22 through a 6/0...hmmm.

This is where I become puzzled. Perhaps the vintage of his allows for that and I should try one more time to try and satisfy my obsession.

Dean - PM me with your address and I'll send both plastics I am currently using and several hooks as well to see how you make out.

Also gents...what is the vintage of your vises?

Finally guys thank you for your input and insight.

Tight Lines,
George

4 minutes ago, SalarMan said:

Dean & Mark

Here is my history with the TRV...and my freely admitted obsession with the vise.

The first one I saw and tried was Jon Larabee's personal vise at the 2018 Fly Fishing Show in Edison, NJ. I had 2 hooks with me and the plastic I was using at the time...pretty much what I am using today. The hooks were a 3/0 and a 5/0 blind eye salmon hook and neither would fit into the jaws. Jon and I talked a bit and he was understanding of what we salmon fly tyers needed and he was working on it. At the 2019 Fly Fishing & Wing Shooting Expo in the Poconos here in PA a couple of months later I saw one for sale by one of the exhibitors. Borrowed a 5/0 hook from a friends booth, wrapped a business card piece around the hook and it worked fine...voila!! What I learned at home was the vise would handle any of the hooks for my classics no problem. However it would not hold anything smaller than a size 8 because the jaws wouldn't close any closer than that. I sold the vise. Then I bought another and that one was the same as Jon's...nothing bigger than a 2/0. The video on HMH's web site with Gunnar Brammer is where he states anything from 22 through a 6/0...hmmm.

This is where I become puzzled. Perhaps the vintage of his allows for that and I should try one more time to try and satisfy my obsession.

Dean - PM me with your address and I'll send both plastics I am currently using and several hooks as well to see how you make out.

Tight Lines,
George

My vise is a little over 1 1/2 years old. I've tied about 2000 flies in it from size 16 to 11/0. (I'm pretty confident with that the 2000 fly estimate because I tied a minimim of 3 each of all the flies in the Orvis Index of flies and a few dozen others for swaps and my own fishing.)

Only the 11/0s give me just the tiniest bit of trouble.

26 minutes ago, Mark Knapp said:

My vise is a little over 1 1/2 years old. I've tied about 2000 flies in it from size 16 to 11/0. (I'm pretty confident with that the 2000 fly estimate because I tied a minimim of 3 each of all the flies in the Orvis Index of flies and a few dozen others for swaps and my own fishing.)

Only the 11/0s give me just the tiniest bit of trouble.

38 minutes ago, SalarMan said:

Dean & Mark

Tight Lines,
George

Same here George, I bought my vise about the same time as Mark. December 2018. I sent you a PM and will be glad to try your hooks

the vintage of mine is 12-14-2018

i used it for a few dozen flies, wrote my review and then put it back in the box to age in maturity 😀

back to the renzetti traveler

34 minutes ago, flytire said:

the vintage of mine is 12-14-2018

i used it for a few dozen flies, wrote my review and then put it back in the box to age in maturity 😀

back to the renzetti traveler

I always wondered what happened to your TRV Norm?  I thought your mostly positive review was honest and accurate.  When I noticed the flies you were posting were on the Traveler I thought maybe you had an issue.  

the star shaped tightening screw is just too hard for my right hand with multiple trigger fingers to tighten properly. i think i mentioned that back then

it also has a shorter stem than my renzetti and i refuse to pay hmh for a longer one 👎

i may release it from its box and give it another go 😀

59 minutes ago, flytire said:

the star shaped tightening screw is just too hard for my right hand with multiple trigger fingers to tighten properly. i think i mentioned that back then

it also has a shorter stem than my renzetti and i refuse to pay hmh for a longer one 👎

Well if you do unbox it here's a couple of thoughts. 

1) I've notice that I need significantly less torque on the knob when I recess the hook just a little deeper in the jaws (away from the tips).  Nothing crazy just a smidgen further down makes a difference.  The closer to the tips I the harder I have to crank on the knob.

2) When I don't need the true rotary feature I pivot the head up the same way Davie McPhail and Oliver Edwards do with their LAWs.  Not only does it raise the tying height but it really opens up the rear of the hook.

OE.JPG.55271f40c6ea5b81d7b32c76fe5cb87a.JPGOE1.JPG.fd85183ce902842d1f000cc7e14e2753.JPG

1 hour ago, flytire said:

This post is becoming more and more fun/interesting as time goes by. I will add you guys are making me a little crazier everyday:P🙃:P HA HA HA HA

19 minutes ago, DFoster said:

Well if you do unbox it here's a couple of thoughts. 

1) I've notice that I need significantly less torque on the knob when I recess the hook just a little deeper in the jaws (away from the tips).  Nothing crazy just a smidgen further down makes a difference.  The closer to the tips I the harder I have to crank on the knob.

i will have to try that