Fly Tying
flytire

hmh trv review

ok. i'll hijack back to the original subject. :)

anybody else want to provide a review of the trv vice?

ok. i'll hijack back to the original subject. smile.png

No, I can't add anything new to the review but I am making finger knobs for the TRV, would you like one?

Mr. Tire. I can make one like that real easy, but I was going to make one that can go on the side like you show or on the end. One that swivels on a shoulder bolt. What do you prefer? PM me your address.

ok. i'll hijack back to the original subject. smile.png

Not really a review but one of my only criticisms of the vise is the stem is a little short for me. I had some time off over the holidays so I built a riser and covered it with velvet to match my existing material catcher. I can get away with velvet because I never use head cement, just bees wax on the heads of my flies. Besides looking good the velvet keeps clippings from blowing around the desk. Now the vise sets roughly 2 inches higher which is what I'm used to.

post-63811-0-38864800-1546608215_thumb.jpg

post-63811-0-86756300-1546608235_thumb.jpg

post-63811-0-45943300-1546608267_thumb.jpg

post-63811-0-27518100-1546608323_thumb.jpg

DF, very cool idea, but your bench is way too neat. You need to mess it up a little.

Well here' the story with the unnatural neatness- It drives me crazy to waste time hunting for tools or materials so I tend to keep my things organized. More importantly my tying bench is located on a wall within my wife's home office. In the interest of avoiding banishment to our unheated and poorly lit basement I keep it pretty and clean!

Fortunately,living in our motorhome until the burnt down house is rebuilt, my wife is very understanding and allows my to have a small table to all suit all my needs. I try to keep it tidy but never quite manage! But having owned a TRV I will say the current generation looks ok.

DF, a buddy of mine used to always say, "A guy that always puts his stuff where it belongs is just too lazy to look for a tool"smile.png smile.pngPresent company excluded, I'd hate to see you banished.

Fortunately,living in our motorhome until the burnt down house is rebuilt, my wife is very understanding and allows my to have a small table to all suit all my needs. I try to keep it tidy but never quite manage! But having owned a TRV I will say the current generation looks ok.

Did you lose your home in the CA wild fires? My wife's aunt lived in Paradise, she made it out but her home burnt. Sadly I'm told she had a lot of original paintings from a lifetime of collecting art. They were insured but they can't be replaced.

Yes, our house burnt in the fire just before the Camp Fire. Ours was the Carr Fire! Fortunately most of my fly tying materials were in our garage/workshop at the time and this escaped. Its going to be at least six months in our motorhome. Still most of the trees on the property, six acres, survived and the grass is already starting to grow back. Im feeding a small herd of deer who lost most of their territory in the fire so the grass better grow quick since they are eating me out of money!

I made a finger bar for my TRV and I made five extras if anyone would like to have one. Just PM me your mailing address. they look like this.

20190107_132908-XL.jpg

I also made a hand wheel with a small crank handle for mine. The hand wheel acts as a fly wheel to help keep the vice spinning when making dubbing noodles. It also holds my crank handle further off center and allows me to rotate the vise using the handle on the end. I had tried to use a crank handle on the end of the palm wheel but it wasn't far enough off-center to work properly. The crank handle that I made is a counter balance to the vise jaws. The vise spins smoothly without the weight of the off-center jaws throwing the balance off.

20190107_132503-XL.jpg

I was able to spin this sweet little dubbing noodle (and others) kind of Norvise style. I've never been able to do that before.

20190107_132432-XL.jpg

Sorry for everyone that lost homes in the CA. fires.

rstraight, I just got the bearings in the mail today, so, not yet. I'm going to make a whole new bearing housing for that knuckle so that I can keep my vise original. The vise actually comes with bronze bushings in it but the outside diameter of the bearings are larger than the bushings and it would require boring out that part on the vise to accommodate the bearings. It actually spins pretty nice like it is but not like the Norvise (yet).