Fly Tying
dogfacedoc

Fly tying vise recommendations

here is what the o-ring does on a renzetti

i would assume a spring would approximate the same affect

Thanks Flytire, I have only used a Thompson and knock off Thompsons and I would say that the entire jaws of that type vise are springs. When the cam is up the jaw springs open. I've wondered how the two part jaws operated that helps explain it. The Terra vise must have the spring concealed inside?

I found a video of the Regal that looks like it springs closed and that the spring is all that holds the hook?

There is not an actual spring or O ring in the regal but rather spring tension in the metal. I assume the terra knockoff is the same.

The mid tier Regal knockoff that Chug Bug first posted a link to is a quality vise. I have used them for many years with my tying classes and have had no issues whatsoever. Can't say that for any of the other mid-lower tier vises. I have had nothing but issues with those.

You could also keep an eye out for a used Regal for under a $100. Can't go wrong there either.

It sounds like you have your heart set on a particular vise. When you are new to tying flies, the cost of a high end vise might sound like a lot - but in the long run, the cost of the vise is a drop in the bucket compared to your investment in hooks and materials. My suggestion is to save up and get the vise you really want. If at all possible, try tying on different vises (at fly shops or fly shows) before making up your mind.

This shop shows a really good price for a Regal Inex. Same (standard) jaws as the Medallion, and the jaws do rotate, though the stem is at a fixed angle. You can always buy the adjustable stem should you decide you want that feature at a later date. Disclaimer: I've never done any business with this shop.

https://north40flyshop.com/fly-shop/fly-fishing-gear/fly-fishing-fly-tying/regal-inex-fly-tying-vise

post-3898-0-46429700-1542159089_thumb.jpg

Some people use the knock-off "Crown" vises for years without complaint.

I have used a Regal imposter since 1992 and it's annoyingly reliable. I have wanted a rotary vise since they came out but I just can't see tossing or giving away my old one. All sizes of hooks and it still works perfectly.

If money is a serious issue (and it certainly can be), look into buying a good used vise. You will just get a whole lot more bang for your buck. And like the advice above, get the vise you really want, even if that means waiting a little longer. Otherwise you will find reasons not to use it. In the meantime, go out and get a pair of small vise grips to hold the hook, and use any full size vise to hold it all.

If money is a serious issue (and it certainly can be), look into buying a good used vise. You will just get a whole lot more bang for your buck. And like the advice above, get the vise you really want, even if that means waiting a little longer.

+1- Unless a vise has been abused a quality used vise is a great option. I tied for the past 8 years on a Renzetti Traveler and other than the finish wear at the point the bobbin rest rotated on the stem it looked like the day I bought it.

I use a Thompson Model A that was given to me back in the 70's, and I purchased a universal base for it from Cabella's in 2010.

I looked up the Thompson in ebay ant it is going for around $11

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Original-and-Vintage-NIB-Thompson-Model-A-fly-tying-Vise-/223362322802

Over the Holidays, I picked up an original Model A with an extra "midge" jaw, a Sunrise Master with 3 extra jaws, two clamp on "streamside" style vises, & an original Thompson bobbin on Craigslist for a $20 spot.

Bought a pedestal for the Model A @ Sportsmen's Warehouse, & it now sits on my desk nicely and works very well.

post-63593-0-76343200-1549835588_thumb.jpg

Thanks Flytire, I have only used a Thompson and knock off Thompsons and I would say that the entire jaws of that type vise are springs. When the cam is up the jaw springs open. I've wondered how the two part jaws operated that helps explain it. The Terra vise must have the spring concealed inside?

I found a video of the Regal that looks like it springs closed and that the spring is all that holds the hook?

Yes. The Regal uses a cam lever to open the jaws. The torsion of the jaw halves closes the jaws. . . tightly. No seperate spring - just the springiness of the steel. No adjustment screws needed. It has plenty enough tension to bend hooks without slippage.

It was featured in an episode of "How It's Made". https://youtu.be/phnGANTSZNM

I've been using a Regal for about 20 years and just added a Peak (rotary).

Ive had a Regal Medallion C-Clamp Vise since 1994 and it's still going strong. Best investment I ever made imho. Regals are bomb proof. I recently added a Renzetti 2000 Traveler but I still use my Regal.