Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Mark Knapp

How to store big streamers

All of my bugs (with the exception of poppers) are in individual plastic sleeves - the exact same way I used to deliver them to shops... Each sleeve is just right for one big fly (or three or four clouser style flies, each exactly like the others...). The sleeves are just short enough to fit vertically in a standard quart zip top baggie (I prefer those baggies in the "freezer" version - the plastic is a bit tougher). I'm able to hold one dozen really big bulky flies in one quart sized bag, or two dozen smaller bugs - and they all stay perfectly dry and separate until needed (pretty much perfect for flies up to about seven inches long). In use, it's a simple matter to look on the outside of each baggie and see exactly what's in them. For daily use I keep about five of them inside a much larger tackle box (small coolers make much better tackle boxes that anything sold in shops since - by design they're waterproof...). As backups I also keep another half dozen or so stowed away elsewhere on my skiff... If I get a moment later today I'll take a few pics and add them to this account...

Mark, it's a great idea, I just don't own any flies that long, Probably put all my streamers in one section of that file. I can fit quite a few in an Altoids box. Where did you say she got those?

I think she gets them from Office Max or a place like that. I will check with her when she gets back.

these are 6" long or more

Yep, I've done that too. I did have a problem with the weighted flies pulling the foam loose though. Also, there's a lot of dead air space in the boxes that I would rather use for other things when I am traveling in small planes and boats.

this is one way I do it, my boat box, covers everything from blue-gill to small musky flies.

This is a great system when you have enough space.

Another cheap, I mean frugal trick is to put a computer mouse pad in a VHS tape box (remember those? You can get them at jumk stores and thrift shops). Cut sits in the mouse pads and glue inside the box.

Another cheap, I mean frugal trick is to put a computer mouse pad in a VHS tape box (remember those? You can get them at jumk stores and thrift shops). Cut sits in the mouse pads and glue inside the box.

Yep, I tried that too. It works pretty good.

Mark, it's a great idea, I just don't own any flies that long, Probably put all my streamers in one section of that file. I can fit quite a few in an Altoids box. Where did you say she got those?

Yep, she gets them at "Office Max"

Yep, she gets them at "Office Max"

Never heard of Office Max- so when I searched it the result is Office Depot, must be different names in different locations. There is an Office Depot near me that I will check out.

Never heard of Office Max- so when I searched it the result is Office Depot, must be different names in different locations. There is an Office Depot near me that I will check out.

They are two different stores. We have both here. They carry pretty much the same things though so you should be able to find them at whichever is near you.