Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Edward Snowden

Veevus thread recommendation

I have taken an interest in thread I use for tying flies. I want to try some Veevus, but would like some insight from others who are familiar with this thread. I tie mostly smaller flies (14 - 22) and I have a problem with bulk, which is why I want to try Veevus. I understand it is very strong and lays very flat on the hook. What is a good size(s) for the flies I tie? I have been thinking 10/0 and 14/0. What is your take on Veevus thread, are there other threads I should consider? I already have some Danville 6/0, UTC and UNI 6/0 and 8/0. Thanks for your help.

i found utc to fray quite easily and gave it away

veevus is really strong for its size. i can wrap with pressure (tight wrap) and it doesnt break (99.99% of the time smile.png) its just my preferred thread

i use danville 6/0 for wet flies and sometimes streamers

i used to use uni but gave up on that one after using veevus. it doesnt lay flat like the other threads and doest split well for split thread dubbing

theres only one way to know whats right for you: buy 1 spool and try it out for yourself. it took me about 1/2 dozenflies to get used to veevus thread

Key3QPO.jpg

gtCU74Y.jpg

you have to find a thread that is right for you. i'm only mentioning options

https://globalflyfisher.com/tie-better/fly-tying-thread-table

10/0 lays flat, but 14/0 and 16/0 are like human hare thickness. Lol. Maybe thats exadirating but its very fine. So all 3 will help keep bulk down. Also all are rather strong, I mean the 16/0 isnt going to be as strong as your Danville 6/0 but its still tough thread. I havent ever used the 12/0. But the 10/0 is flat like utc thread. 14/0 and 16/0 are round.

There is something "off" about the Veevus system for thread thickness. For example, here are the identical number (40) of wraps around a hook. Why is the Veevus 16/0 not significantly less bulky than the 14/0.

35593321251_80ecd6afec_o.jpg

Why does the Veevus 12/0 in the Global Flyfisher chart below have the identical denier measurement (70 denier) as the Veevus 14/0? Why is the Veevus 14/0 thicker than the 12/0 in mm (.049 vs .047 mm).

http://globalflyfisher.com/tie-better/fly-tying-thread-table

30923115177_f2577b40ec_o.png

I use 10/0 and haven't found a need to drop lower. I bought up a load of benecchi when a local shop had it and its my favorite thread. Griffiths is my second. I use veevus in white or black as a bulk thread to keep my stock of benecchi stretched out.

There is something "off" about the Veevus system for thread thickness. For example, here are the identical number (40) of wraps around a hook. Why is the Veevus 16/0 not significantly less bulky than the 14/0.

Why? Well, possibly for the same reason the following statement is incorrect:

I havent ever used the 12/0. But the 10/0 is flat like utc thread. 14/0 and 16/0 are round.

Both Veevus 12/0 and Veevus 14/0 are constructed similarly (twisted, multi-filament) and both lie similarly "flat" on the shank, whereas Veevus 16/0 is constructed from two, corded plies.

Yes the 6/0 and 16/0 are two twisted strands. A neat thing with these two sizes is you can easily untwist the two strands for a quick split thread dubbing technique.

I use the 16/0 for most of my dry and nymph tying and have found the strength to be excellent.

A friend of mine measured Veevus in lab ( he is professor in physics at local university ) - all diameters ( 14 and 16/0 ) where thicker compared with Uni 8/0.

One of it was identical in diameter with GG which was declared thicker....

A friend of mine measured Veevus in lab ( he is professor in physics at local university ) - all diameters ( 14 and 16/0 ) where thicker compared with Uni 8/0.

One of it was identical in diameter with GG which was declared thicker....

Cool blog Lucian

Why? Well, possibly for the same reason the following statement is incorrect:

I havent ever used the 12/0. But the 10/0 is flat like utc thread. 14/0 and 16/0 are round.

Both Veevus 12/0 and Veevus 14/0 are constructed similarly (twisted, multi-filament) and both lie similarly "flat" on the shank, whereas Veevus 16/0 is constructed from two, corded plies.
So what is incorrect about what I said? Lol. I mean, they are round, as when you wind it on the hook it is somewhat bumped up. But when you wind the 10/0 it sits flat. 10/0 seems to be a little finer (and stronger) version of utc 70. At least in my experience.

SilverCreek you did us all a big service- at least it opens up our eyes! Kudos to you!!! What better way to judge for yourself than just wrap 40 times around a hook & decide for yourself on the build up. No need for a micrometer or microscope. I like Danville's & Uni's thread and have no problem with the other brands either. Its nice to have the color assortment and variety no a days - competition is a good thing....