Fly Tying
Greg Stine

Deer hair packer

Ive developed a new style packer that I believe is better than whats out there. I would like to get some opinions from fellow tiers. Its still a work in progress but Im determined to make the best packer within a reasonable price. Take a look at my pictures and tell me what you think. I can add more pictures if that helps. Its made from a hard polymer with a low coefficient of friction. Should last forever and never cut your thread.

Thanks

post-63286-0-54750800-1542904204_thumb.jpeg

post-63286-0-10843100-1542904279_thumb.jpeg

Welcome to the site, Greg.

I'm not sure the finger "bumps" are enough to keep the fingers from sliding off and catching the hook point. That was one of the reasons I didn't like the "Brassie" packer.

I'm also looking at the thickness of the area that will be pushing on the thread and deer hair. You won't be able to close on the hook for those last two or so bunches as they'll be right up against the hook eye.

Cohen's "Fugly Packer" (there's another thread currently running on it) sells for about $30.00 for a large one, less for the smaller size. If you're going to offer yours for about half that, then it might be a moderate seller ... but I wouldn't buy one, because of the items listed above.

Good observations. Let me explain proper use of this packer. The thumb and finger are for closing the packer over the hook shank and capturing the shank in the center slot. The force to pack the hair comes from the arm through the heel of the hand. The heel of the hand delivers more force with less effort than the fingers giving superior control. When used in this way its nearly impossible to slide off the shank. Since there is no spring along the axis, like the brassy and fugly, all movement felt in the hand is exactly the movement of the hair packed. This is exceptional tactile feedback. Alignment with the hook shank is automatic, the human eye can perceive symmetry quite well. The hook shank axis will align with the tool axis without thinking about it.

Good explanations. Well thought out. Sound design.

So the only other issue is the thickness of the pushing face. It won't be able to close for the final two or three additions of hair, as they will be too close to the hook eye.

True! The depth of the neck is around.065”. The Fugly packer is around .025”. You can still slide over the hook eye with a minimal gap. The thing to consider is you are not really trying to pack the hair(this may sound crazy) your trying to pack the thread that is holding the hair.

The last issue is cost. As of now with low quantities material cost is cosiderable. Even with quantity purchasing and productive machining practices the price will probably have to be comparable to the Fugly packer to be a viable pursuit.

The last issue is cost. As of now with low quantities material cost is cosiderable. Even with quantity purchasing and productive machining practices the price will probably have to be comparable to the Fugly packer to be a viable pursuit.

You might consider losing a few to build up the market. I'm not paying $30 for a packer...I don't pack that most that that densely. But to be attractive to those who do, you might compete with them at a lower price and lose $$$ initially for a future of profit.

Greg you may want to check and see if The Cream would want to test one out for you and use it in videos and spread the word if he likes iif he's a fairly well known deer hair guy who does great work and a lot of you tube videos. you could also let one or two circulate through the swaps here top get more reviews and exposure.