Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
ct.custom

Saltwater flys anyone???

Good morning good people!

My name is Cody Thomas and I live in Cape Fear North Carolina. I have been tying for about three weeks after getting frustrated with box store flies falling apart after two good strikes from a 2lb bass... I am really enjoying everything about tying so far and have seen exponential improvements in my technique and overall look of my flies since my first baitfish. Please let me know what you think good or bad ill take it all.

Tight lines everyone!

CT

post-63888-0-19839900-1543337441_thumb.png

post-63888-0-07917600-1543337458_thumb.png

post-63888-0-37097000-1543337474_thumb.png

post-63888-0-77707400-1543337488_thumb.png

Nicely tied flies. Welcome to the site.

Please don't post the same thing in several different posts. Makes it hard to follow the replies.

I think that for the short time you've been tying, you're doing a fine job!

The only thing that I see, that you may want to do is coat the heads on the streamers with something to keep those eyes in place. Epoxy, UV resins, Liquid Fusion and thinned Goop have all been popular for such a purpose. Just depends on what you want to try & be comfortable with using. smile.png

When tying minnow patterns with synthetic wings remember that "less is more"... Very, very easy to use more materials for the wing than needed. The rule that most follow is that you want to be able to see through the wing when it's been trimmed properly...

Keep on tying... I've had folks with a few years experience as students back when I was teaching saltwater tying and you're well started and ahead of many already...

Looking good!

If you haven't already done it, you might try hooking up with the Cape Fear Fly Fishers. They could provide you with a wealth of information on fishing in your area.