Fly Tying
Mark Knapp

What are you working on?

Well Mark I'm a professional musician on weekends (2nd job) and have been saving my band pay to order a new HMH TRV vise. Not easy with a big family and Christmas this month but it's looking like the Vise will be mine just before the holidays.

Very cool. I'm afraid those kinds of vises are above my skill level. I gotta stick to the simple stuff. Looks like you'll have a Merry Christmas.

Well I'm not Oliver Edwards either and certainly I don't "need" another vise. Honestly I just like the design. All part of the obsession of catching fish on the fly -

Well Mark I'm a professional musician on weekends (2nd job) and have been saving my band pay to order a new HMH TRV vise. Not easy with a big family and Christmas this month but it's looking like the Vise will be mine just before the holidays.

Very cool. I'm afraid those kinds of vises are above my skill level. I gotta stick to the simple stuff. Looks like you'll have a Merry Christmas.

Well I'm not Oliver Edwards either and certainly I don't "need" another vise. Honestly I just like the design. All part of the obsession of catching fish on the fly -

Well, I don't smoke, drink or use drugs, I don't cheat on my wife, I'm kind to small children, animals and women. I guess I could use a couple of new vises.

Well, I don't smoke, drink or use drugs, I don't cheat on my wife, I'm kind to small children, animals and women. I guess I could use a couple of new vises.

Your vise has become your vice-

Your vise has become your vice-

Yes, I'm afraid it has. And I'm in deep. I don't think I have it as bad as some of you though.

I am putting together aome display boxres full of flies I tie for fishing, at the request of my kids. They have fond memories of me taking them fishing (still ongoing when we can) and want these for to remind them. I have really tried to make them consistent and neat, with small heads, etc. When you are tying for someone else, you realize how sloppy you have let yourself become with your day to day fishing flies.

After this, I am planning on building some poppers for bream and tying some wet flies for my son's father in law.

I love tying wets.

BTW, Mark, I am impressed that you are working your way through the Orvis book!

I just purchased a Pedestal base so I could start using an old Thompson Model A vise that I recently picked up on Craigslist. However, it sits a bit higher than the vise I started out with. I'm considering trimming the Shaft down a little to match the height of the other vise, but that might be a big mistake. We'll see...

By the by... anyone in Denver going to the Fly Fishing Expo in January? 1/4-6/19 @ the Denver Merchandise Mart?

They've got some interesting Tying seminars going on...

https://flyfishingshow.com/denver-co/

Alan :P

I am putting together aome display boxres full of flies I tie for fishing, at the request of my kids. They have fond memories of me taking them fishing (still ongoing when we can) and want these for to remind them. I have really tried to make them consistent and neat, with small heads, etc. When you are tying for someone else, you realize how sloppy you have let yourself become with your day to day fishing flies.

After this, I am planning on building some poppers for bream and tying some wet flies for my son's father in law.

I love tying wets.

BTW, Mark, I am impressed that you are working your way through the Orvis book!

I like display boxes and am thinking of doing some myself. I'm thinking about lighting inside.

The Orvis book is daunting. I think there are a few different books. So far I've done the Bead Head Hairs Ear Soft Hackle, the Hairs Ear Soft Hackle, the Adams, the Woolly Bugger, the Clouser and Letort Hopper and the G.R. Hairs Ear Nymph. Still having fun with it.

I just purchased a Pedestal base so I could start using an old Thompson Model A vise that I recently picked up on Craigslist. However, it sits a bit higher than the vise I started out with. I'm considering trimming the Shaft down a little to match the height of the other vise, but that might be a big mistake. We'll see...

By the by... anyone in Denver going to the Fly Fishing Expo in January? 1/4-6/19 @ the Denver Merchandise Mart?

Alan tongue.png

I'm not familiar with that vise, is there something that attracted you to it?

Alan :P

Nothing, other than it's built like a B-17, it came with the extra Midge jaws, & it's better than the one I have.

It's also legendary!

Alan :)

Alan tongue.png

Nothing, other than it's built like a B-17, it came with the extra Midge jaws, & it's better than the one I have.

It's also legendary!

Alan smile.png

I'll have to check them out.

It's just starting to get cold here in Florida. So I am currently working on building up fat reserves for the Winter hibernation period.

I'm also working on avoiding christmas lights until it's too late to put them up ... hopefully preventing the taking them down part later.

@ Mark Knapp

There is severeral versions of the Orvis books and the newest brings the patterns up to date with newer materials and synthetics. All versions are great for references but dont limit to what materials is called for as there is many suitable materials that one might have on hand.

Cold in Florida??

It's all relative ... I start getting shivers at around 55 degree F. Unfortunately for me, my company is sending me North in January. Brrrrr.

@ Mark Knapp

There is severeral versions of the Orvis books and the newest brings the patterns up to date with newer materials and synthetics. All versions are great for references but dont limit to what materials is called for as there is many suitable materials that one might have on hand.

Thanks Tom, I will keep my options open. Part of the fun in this is exploring all the old stuff and the new stuff.