Fly Tying
Mark Knapp

What are you working on?

Jcb68, very nice, is that mahogany?

Thanks for the good words. Yes It is mahogany. I plan on adding some more black accents.

When it is finished i will post more pics.

Some more bugs from the Orvis index.

DSCF3633-XL.jpg

Black Ant

DSCF3636-XL.jpg

Cinnamon Ant

DSCF3640-XL.jpg

Letort Cricket

DSCF3644-XL.jpg

Letort Hopper

DSCF3648-XL.jpg

Red Flying Ant

DSCF3647-XL.jpgBlack Flying Ant

DSCF3654-XL.jpg

Deer Hopper

I tried a trick suggested by Sandan and now I really like the the way my hackles are looking. Will the fish notice? I doubt it. Will the flies act better on the water? Float longer? Maybe. The real difference is that, I think they look better and that's the reason I'm doing this exercise. Thanks again Sandan.

I noticed. The hackling looks much better. Like night and day. Way to go Mark

ccwnsc, and what species? They look like they would be especially good for pan fish to me.

Flicted, I guess it's no big trick. I started stripping one side of the quill before wrapping the hackle and that made a big difference. Then Sandan suggested stripping both sides of the quill for a small section after the tie-in, so that the quill gets a chance to lay flat before the hackle starts. It sure makes a nice looking hackle. I just love it when I learn a tiny trick that makes a big difference.

More from the index.

DSCF3409-XL.jpg

Large Red Fluttering Caddis. There was a time I could post a picture and not know what was wrong with the fly. Now I'm beginning to be able to self-critique, sometimes not while I'm tying the fly but only when I see it in a picture. On this one, the hackle is too far back.

DSCF3406-XL.jpg

Large Ginger Fluttering Caddis. On this one I tried more, tighter wraps of the wire ribbing, don't like it, and the head is too small.

DSCF3410-XL.jpg

Gray Tent Wing Caddis

DSCF3417-XL.jpg

Brown Tent Wing Caddis

The next flies in my Orvis Index call for materials I don't have, so in the mean time I experimented with alternatives.

DSCF3421-XL.jpg

This spinner called for white poly wings but I didn't have any. While I'm waiting for the material I tied some with calf tail, fish fur, polar bear hair and Cul De Canard but I like these Coq De Leon wings the best.

Mark Knapp

I will be fishing those for trout. I never tried them on panfish, but they are heavily weighted and will sink to the bottom quickly.

ccwnsc, Nice, I just tried something similar, though not as classy as yours for trout and char through the ice. They worked great.

DSCF3431-X2.jpg

Got my size 20 dry fly hooks in so I continued where I left off in the Orvis index of fly patterns. The midge dry flies.

DSCF3443-XL.jpg

Adams Midge

DSCF3453-XL.jpg

Cream Midge

DSCF3458-XL.jpg

Brown Midge

DSCF3467-XL.jpg

Black Midge

Then I just decided to have some fun

DSCF3471-XL.jpg

Size 20 Black Ant with Peacock herl body

DSCF3479-XL.jpg

Size 20 Mosquito.

DSCF3448-XL.jpg

Size 20 Adams dry with wings.

DSCF3436-XL.jpg

This was the first one I did today for a warm up, a size 12 Adams.