Fly Tying
Mark Knapp

What are you working on?

I hope you don't have to go through that every year.

It's turning into a constant battle... Last year we stopped a developer with connections on the city council from changing his residential lot into a high traffic commercial lot that would have allowed a two story hotel and bar with a music space to be built on the lot right behind our house, overlooking our backyard....

https://www.nola.com/politics/2018/02/frenchmen_rezoning_nadine_rams.html

I'm glad my area is all 4.6 acres minimums with septic systems helps keep development too a minimum.

I'm working on improving my tying skills on dry flies, since I have a tremor in my left hand sometimes. Parkinson's? I suspect so, but maybe not. My fishing days are over, as I fall as soon as I get in water above my ankles. So I'm tying for the fly box rather than tying for the stream. Selling some Hardy LRH reels on eBay, and a couple of Winston rods. Tying helps me concentrate. Smallest I've tied is 18, which is academic, since I don't fish them. I've improved a lot in the past six months and learn something from every fly I tie. Learned there are many ways to tie in a wing, learned to be very gentle with stripped peacock quill bodies and other things. Learned to start the wings farther back than you think you're going to need to do so and not worry all that much if I get the wing a bit high.

I'll never be a skilled fly tier, just aim to be an average fly tier.

I hope you don't have to go through that every year.

It's turning into a constant battle... Last year we stopped a developer with connections on the city council from changing his residential lot into a high traffic commercial lot that would have allowed a two story hotel and bar with a music space to be built on the lot right behind our house, overlooking our backyard....

https://www.nola.com/politics/2018/02/frenchmen_rezoning_nadine_rams.html

In my town, we just voted out 4 of 6 city councilpeople who voted for high density development after 75% of the population said they didn't want it.

vacuuming the bits and bobs from the tying desk. general cleaning

tearing apart very old laptop and desktop computers (i bought a new hp laptop)

i removed all of the hard drives for destruction and the memory cards

transferring materials from old sterilite shoebox containers to new ones

trying to figure out what to do with an out dated nikon d40 camera (sell or goodwill store)

Norm,

When you get to the hard drives, go further. Take them apart. There are two useful items you'll get.

1. Decoration-wise useful, the discs. Depending on the system, you'll get two or three perfect mirrors. I mostly use them to make mobiles to reflect the sun. The cats go nuts chasing the light around.

2. Most useful. There are two or three super magnets. If you're careful, you can bend the steel arm away, and the magnet will then pop free. Very strong, I put them in various places and hang tools, etc., from them.

no intention of making crafty things

ill take apart and scratch/bend the disc so no future use

no i dont want to play with magnets with a defibrilator implanted in my chest

all animals have a dominant side, just like us. Now fish, probably not, since they don't have hands.

all animals have a dominant side, just like us. Now fish, probably not, since they don't have hands.

Unless you see a fish swimming in circles blink.png laugh.png

Then it would be too much of he bubbly, or in the case of a dogfish, chasing it's own tail unsure.png

Unless you see a fish swimming in circles blink.png laugh.png

"I have two left feet, really. In high school they called me Loopy" or something like that. From one of the, I think, funniest movies ever, Best In Show.

DF, I use a small package of bentonite from the wine making supply store and don't bother with the glycerine. No bulk buying, grinding and proportioning. The wine store package is fine ground and just the right amount for a 35mm film canister. Stays pliable for a season or two without glycerine.

Great tip- Thank you!