Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Timmy Ties Flys

Need some help please...

Hey it Timmy again be sure to check out my Instagram page @timsflyfishing_pa I am posting today due to weeks of problems with the one and only prince nymph I got the hardest part down (tying in the biots) but i strugle to find a hackle witht the correct length and stiffness to accomidate the pricne nymphs legs. I have tried Indian hen back grab bag hackle and even something is given to me by another fly tyer Mr James Shawley. Still, the fibres where to long 1 and a half the length they should be, im tying these on size 14 standard Daiichi hook. I haven't tried the hackles from underneath a brown hackle cape would these work be I just not looking for the right size? The one cape I was given is good stiffness but too long and the other one I have is good length but stands straight up. I tie it back but I still feel like it should be loose and wavey. Please help me out. If anyone has any extra hackles or materials im a new fly just started and am not asking for handouts just keeping an eye out for someone who might want to help as you all know to be 17 and a fly tyer is difficult when money is tight. I am working on getting a summer job at a fly shop though. Thank you and anyone who might have materials... anything hackle dubbings chennile hooks fur please email me @[email protected] or message me on here. Or if you know anyone with tons of materials im looking anywhere I can.

Excuse spelling

post-63978-0-36008500-1545525936_thumb.jpg

post-63978-0-04094700-1545525949_thumb.jpg

use the feathers from the hen back on the right

splay out the feather and size the hackle fibers to equal 1 hook shank long

do you have youtube?

Try and practice the distribution wrap technique. You can read all about it here . It's not just for soft hackles either.

Regards,

Mark

you can use the feathers fron either the cape in middle or right side of your foto

try this

hackles dont just automatically flow backwards as you wrap them. a little thread persuasion is sometimes needed

He ties it differently than most

Looks like the industry standard way most people tie a prince nymph to me.

For a size 14 I'd opt for the center cape in your picture.

Here is how I tie the hackle on a Prince. This is from a 10 year old SBS I did. Tied, this way the fibers sweep back naturally and don't require a lot of over-wrapping. Note that the fly pictured is a size 10 and the hackle is from a particularly nice hen neck. A smaller fly with lesser quality hackle will increase the degree of difficulty, but the process is the same.

Prepare the tip of the hackle.

i60Co73.jpg?1

Tie in by the tip.

HmhRhF0.jpg

Stroke and fold the hackle fibers to the rear and hold them there with your left hand, while wrapping.

t5xD6lc.jpg

After each wrap, stroke the fibers back. Make the next wrap directly in front of the previous wrap.

Completed hackle.

M6YrhaP.jpg