Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Hardyrod1974

"Deer-Hair Fly-Tying Guidebook" Any good?

Has anyone out there used this book?

I have a good handle on the basics and do OK ish with the easy stuff but would like to learn more.

Thank you.

Richard

post-63412-0-54599300-1546450231_thumb.jpg

Jack Pangburn was a very acomplished tier, I never opened his deer hair book but his style in every thing he tied and his art work was top notch.

Have not read this book but amazon.com can tell you a lot about a book if there is a sample available. Looking at the contents page there is a definite emphasis on scope rather than detail and is a surprisingly short book (63 pages). Based on the table of contents, appears to be written for beginners and covers many aspects of tying with deer hair (e.g. wings, bodies, hair selection, spinning), rather than just focusing on a particular topic. This might be good or bad depending on the reader's level of experience.

I received my copy in the mail yesterday.

I did look at the Amazon preview (I wish it had showed more). I took a chance.

What Whatfly said about scope and not detail is very true.

If I had the book in hand before paying for it, I'd still have my $9.99 to spend on something more worth while. Live and learn

Send it back

Try to find a vhs or DVD by Chris helm

YouTube has some Chris helm tying videos

I wouldn't return it for 10 buck's, I think mailing might cost you half of that. You could give it to a young kid. I bet they'd love it. You could save it for a Christmas present for someone who has admired your flies.

Flytire,

At this point sending it back is not realistic. Say it only costs $3 to send it back and I get the $5 purchase cost refunded. Add the original $4.99 shipping cost to the $3 to return it. So in the end I've spent $7.99 for postage for a book I no longer own.