Fly Tying
Timmy Ties Flys

Fly fishing books are expensive

My all time favorite is Arthur C. Clark. I'm also a HUGE fan of James White's "Sector General" series.

But to go into the list, I'd have to hijack the thread.

As you can tell by the title fly fishing books are expensive I was wondering if anyone could be and kind to let me brow some? I live in central pa but do have mail. Im really looking for George Daniels book or Joe Humphreys.

Well Tim if you ask my wife she would probably say it's not just the books that are expensive when it comes to fly fishing-

I learned from the books....the internet is fun ......here, flyflasher,f.a.o.l.,are my go to online.... still print recipes ....but it's how I am.....started in a book ....an two magazines...fly tying( amato pub.) fly fishing and fly tying ( Brits,Scot,Irish,)......it's a brave New world...it's ok to do both ....

I recently downsized my library by several thousand books (nothing fishing related) so you know what side I fall on. I am fortunate that there are several great used book stores near me in CT - I check them frequently, and got Daniels' Dynamic Nymphing a few months ago for $6. I found Fishbugs for $2. The key is NOT to search in stores that specialize in fishing/outdoors/ sports - no bargains there (although certainly cheaper than new). Amazon is another good resource, but search for used copies in Good or better condition - you'll be surprised what you come across. If you are searching for truly hard to find books, try Abebooks.com, which has a worldwide search capability - but be prepared to pay for it - you can drop $3500 for a signed first edition of The Trout and the Fly by Goddard and Clarke, or get a used, pedestrian one for $1.62 (plus shipping). All that said, YouTube IS an excellent resource, with all of the advantages and limitations previously mentioned. One other on-line resource that is often overlooked is Facebook - there are some excellent groups of fly-tiers there, and they tend to be more immediately responsive than posters on YouTube. I've not checked, but there is probably - or ought to be - a database of recommended YouTube tiers on this site - but I will second Davie McPhail and Barry Ord Clarke and add In The Riffle to that list - all highly competent tiers, good teachers and with a style I prefer, but your results may vary. Finally, and with no offense intended, I have learned from unfortunate experience NOT to loan books without some collateral - I still regret losing a signed first edition inscribed to me by the author of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas to a moron who absconded with it. He owes me roughly the equivalent of a good used Volvo.

Start here: http://used-bookdepot.com/CentralPennsylvaniaUsedBooks

I looked through a few library books and tying magazines enough to learn the standard fly patterns and materials. Then I used fly catalog photos and reproduced the flies that were appropriate to the area I was living or would fish. I was able to develop a pretty good handle on proportion and thread control by trial and error. Many early attempts fell prey to the razor blade as I learned. Now that we have the YouTube and other things on the interwebs, I have picked up a few techniques that have really improved my tying efficiency. I am a big Davey McPhail fan. I have a couple books but that was never much of a thing for me.

No, I think it's not because in now a days there are various platforms where you get fishing advise and tips to learn fishing like on YouTube, Slideshare and many more platform where many e-books are available according to fishing style. Here, I like to share a book on fishing where every confusion will be cleared after reading this book named : Top 80 Fly Fishing Terms Every Fisherman Should Know

A fly tying book written in nothing but acronyms might appeal to the non-readers, new age anglers, etc.

In a great many posts I have to google the alphabet slang to know weather we are talking about flies or gubment agencies or new diseases.

A fly tying book written in nothing but acronyms might appeal to the non-readers, new age anglers, etc.

In a great many posts I have to google the alphabet slang to know weather we are talking about flies or gubment agencies or new diseases.

Sounds like me trying to decipher a post by my Niece on facebook. Half the time I have to google what she says because it's nothing but acronyms blink.png

In now a days, what you think, every person have time to read books, some of them believe in doing practically. According to the time change, the way of reading books has also changed. Now we find various e-books and videos on multiple platforms like YouTube, Vimeo, Dailymotion, SlideShare and many more. So, how we can say books are expensive.

If you want a good pattern database one needs to look no further then the fly pattern database on this very site. It contains patterns by some exceptional tiers from right here. I'm not sure who George danials and joe humphreys are but I bet they aren't any better or more knowledgeable tiers then some of fellows on this site.

Surely I can't be the only one to use this sites pattern database.

I’m 69 and just starting out in fly fishing and fly tying. I’m all about learning tying and fishing on YouTube and the internet. I can’t learn anything by looking at a recipe for a fly in a book but I enjoy good instructional books on the subject too. I also don’t know who George Daniels is; but you may find it interesting to read and watch videos about Joe Humphries. He is arguably one of the greatest educators this sport has known. He’s about 92 and still doing it.

Island Bob