Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flytire

have you ever.....

Have you ever.... Targeted a species on fly unsuccessfully for a couple years. Then have said species jump on a fly with inadequate tackle, in a body of water they're rarely seen. Only to battle it around the boat a couple of times and lose it boat side.

Yep a nice 20 something inch snook smashed a hair popper on my 3wt. bream rod with 10lb floro in Lake Okeechobee. Snook have gill plates that are like razor blades and I generally target them with a 25-30lb leader to get freyed up before breaking. It was an awesome battle that sure got some adrenaline pumping.

Personally I'm a big fan of the frozen leader/tippet tangle in freezing (below 32F) when your fingers are too cold to work at even 40%.

Happens all the time, usually @ the most inopportune moment. I'm not the best fly angler around, whether it's 'western' or the other type that I'll not mention in this venue. I'm sure it'll occur again...