Fly Tying
GC59

February 2019 Flies From the Vise

Not Bruce, this is someone else! IMy first post and I have no idea how to do this! Is there a recipe available for this pattern? Thank you! Jbone on 27 Feb

zmUi5dcl.jpg

Man!, I want one!Way cool. What size/type, weighted/dumbell eyes?

black_spey-web-1024x642.jpg

One of the last in February: a black spey freestyle borrwing some elements from Lady Caroline

black_spey-web-1024x642.jpg

One of the last in February: a black spey freestyle borrwing some elements from Lady Caroline

Beautiful, as always

I have recently been taking some old well established nymph patterns and simplifying them. I am not trying to reinvent the wheel. My quest is to just make them a little less complicated and less time consuming and yet not take away their fish catching ability and still call them by their original name. The nymph pictured here is the old standard gold ribbed hare's ear. I have eliminated the gold ribbing and instead of a dubbed body, I use brown mo hair yarn. A yellowish/grey duck quill makes up the wing case and hare's mask dubbing completes the thorax. Thanks to our own Mark Knapp for the moose mane that makes up the tail.

Joe

post-61897-0-26991000-1551383883_thumb.jpg

post-61897-0-68170000-1551383959_thumb.jpg

Nice nymphs. Looks like they will catch fish. Not sure I understand changing all the materials and still call it the original name. Especially when the original name is a descriptive name like GRHE. I guess it would be easier than calling it a "Non-gold ribbed, moose tailed, mohair, duck quilled, hare's mask nymph.

Nice nymphs. Looks like they will catch fish. Not sure I understand changing all the materials and still call it the original name. Especially when the original name is a descriptive name like GRHE. I guess it would be easier than calling it a "Non-gold ribbed, moose tailed, mohair, duck quilled, hare's mask nymph.

You might be right. I feel I can at least call it a Hare's Ear Nymph because I at least kept the hare's mask dubbing. So the only materials I changed were the tail, which is usually tied with hare's mask fur. I eliminated the ribbing and used a duck quill for the wing casing instead of turkey quill. I suppose one can make the tail out of whatever as long as it is brown; i.e., any brown fur or wing quill. The original uses a turkey quill wing case, but one can use pheasant tail or any other such material.

Joe