Fly Tying
flytire

First Car

Technically, this was my dad's car, but he couldn't drive it, so I did. For the first two years I had a license, it was my main vehicle. I learned how to drive it on old mining roads the year before I could get a license. Ours was Blue and yellow, painted that way by the Sheriff's Posse. Before that is was olive drab. We had to take out the light switch assembly and couldn't find another one to fit, so we drilled holes in the "dashboard" for 8 toggle switches.

Had the rag top, and no back seat.

post-12074-0-83527900-1549597451_thumb.jpg

All you old guys and your cool first cars, I got a green 94 4 door accord, it was a good car, a to b at 33 mpg and never had a problem in the 50k plus miles I drive it until it got hit by a bus.

My family didn't even have a car until I was 16. Then my dad brought a Baby Blue Nash Rambler station wagon from my uncle. I had a couple of hand me downs from my parents before that, including a Gremlin which took me through the last two years of college and grad school The first car I brought on my own was a used 1977 Plymouth Duster in 1979. I had the Duster for a two years. Then I brought my first new car, an International Orange 4 WD Subaru Hatchback. That was first step down the slippery of 4 WD/AWD vehicles and now I own 2016 Nissan Rogue.

Oh wait, 1st car I bought myself and registered in my name. 1976 Chevrolet Monte Carlo. Not a picture of my car but this was the exact car, color, landau top and wheels.

post-48414-0-93637600-1549680117_thumb.jpg

Ford Falcon...3 on the tree. Had it for about 6 months and it burned to the ground on the side of the road.

The stereo I put in it was worth 2 times what I paid for the car.

Same as Mikechell my 1st car was a 1966 Chevy Malibu Super Sport 396 Hurst 4 on the floor.

Paid $500 for it...they go for 20-30K now.

I know who has it now and saw it last July...sold it to his brother back in like 1980 for $800 after I drove it for close to 3 years.

I loved that car...if I won the lottery Id find one and have it restored.

68 Ford pickup, engine was about shot, straight stick on the floor, if you weren't careful you'd put it in reverse while moving past it to the next gear. Only had it about 4 months before the engine gave out.

Then I got a 69 1/2 Ford Mustang coupe. Nice little car!!

I learned how to drive stick in the winter. Nice farmer nearby kept pulling me out of the ditches.

1951 DeSoto ugly beige like the one in the background,

desoto-deluxe-1951-8.jpg

I really wish someone would be brave and make a modern car but with this type of shape. A proper car. I just love the old cars with proper wheel arches on them.

Got the '59 FordFairlane 289 V8 as senior at Biloxi High '67. Loaded it up with buds and stopped ridding the school bus! Took it in the fall to Cow College (Miss State). Had to put tubing kit to route oil to the tappits cuz the hydro lifters were insuffficent.... Gave it to brother couple years later he drove it 3 more yrs. Lotta memories in that thing. Built like a tank! Paid $450 for it. The pic is same color but have to search for real pics...Learned to drive though in old black Nash Rambler in Pops cow pasture. It had starter peddle on the floor board...

IMG-5597.jpg

Next was lil 55 horse Opal station wagon that I burnt up 2 clutches hauling 10' aluminum boat around strapped to the ludged carrier. First new vehicle was a torquise '73 DodgeVan, 360 V8 with paneling, carpet, 8 track. White fish scales painted down the sides, mag wheels, bumper sticker "Divers do it Deeper" and CB with "SharkBait" for a handle. Regular hippie wagon, big hit with the lil halter toppers! Paid $3100 brand new. After that it was Ford PU trucks till this day...

Golly you guys kept them cars a long time. From my first F1 (traded a saddle horse for that one) at 15 til I went in the USN at 19, I had a '49, 2-'50s, 2- '51s& a '53 of the F1s; a 47 Chevy Deluxe sedan, 37 Ford pickup, '60 Fairlane, 64 C10, & a '66 VW convertible Karmann Ghia. Not necessary in that order. Never wrecked or broke any of them I just always wanted what I saw. There was '41 3/4 Ford too but I never drove that one.

After those first two cars, I just lost interest. Since then, my vehicle is just a tool. I use it to get around and transport stuff. I don't name them, etc.

Drive them until they don't perform the tasks I need to do, then trade them in. I've never traded in a vehicle that I still owed money on.

Would you believe I've never taken a car loan? My wife does every 5 years. I've always paid cash for my junk. My current truck cost me 2500.00 and I've had it for about 5 years now.