Fly Tying
miketipp

Fly box for soft hackles

Where do you store your soft hackle patterns and spiders? I have used foam boxes and the crush the hackles or if you use a dry fly box the all get stuck together and destroyed. Any suggestions for a way to hold them without damaging the soft hackle?

First, I have to say that it really has no impact on the effectiveness of a soft hackle. But if you want to keep them looking good to people, I use a spring fly box and a foam slot box for soft hackles. Both will allow you to tilt the fly to avoid compressing the hackles. You will never completely avoid distortion from freshly tied.

i'm not sure there is a perfect fly box that wont compress a few soft hackles but they should spring back to life once the hit the water

remember that a soft hackle being swung in a current or stripped back to provide motion the hackles will fold backwards against the fly

c&f fly box

rvYKtqx.jpg

I use a lot of Myran compartment boxes for soft hackles but specifically used this Wheatley Box for a bunch that I tied up for Fall use in the Firehole River, in Yellowstone National Park:

pupSvzK.jpg

Myran...

oMi92wC.jpg

Myran...

QjsMRAY.jpg

Wheatley...

PT/TB

spring-clip or foam or compartment- I have never noticed damage from any of these.

Go to Walgreens and get a couple of pill boxes. They normally have seven compartments that will hold a dozen or more flies per compartment. They are cheap,small and convenient

Thanks for the replies, Planettrout I keep mine in a similar box but I find the smaller sizes get so messed up that when on the water when I try and take one out I lose some to the river. I know if I put less in each compartment that won't happen but I was just wondering was there a special box for soft hackles. Beautiful collections of flies there people.

Magnetic sheets, from most hobby stores. Put a piece in the bottom of each compartment. They aren't strong enough to pull the fly flat (usually), but will hold onto the bare hook part of the fly. Keeps more of them in the box when you're trying to pull ONE out.

I like these waterproof boxes made by Flambeau. I haven't had a issue with the hackles being damaged.

post-63811-0-41762200-1551720670_thumb.jpg