Fly Tying
Trouttying

Tying Hooks for Trout

Hi guys. Just new to the site and getting back into tying for trout.

What brands, sizes, etc. do you all recommend for hooks. I am trying to condense all the choices I see. Any help would be appreciated.

Tying mostly, drys, soft hackles, nymphs, few streamers.

Thanks in advance

what brand did you use before you gave up tying?

i pared down my hook inventory to a couple of brands

the fly shop brand - great prices

mustad - they still make great hooks. i replenish when jstockard has their hook sales or get them discounted from hook & hackle online

i still have a few different brands but they are rarely used

Trutta Goods for nymphs: upside-downie for jig-style, altoona curvy for any nymph requiring a curved shank, old man for your standard straight shank nymph (though this is designed as a dry fly hook). You could use the old man for soft hackles, but it's a thin wire.

Gamakatsu B10S or SL12S for chunky streamers. I tie BTDs and CF baitfish on these. Also articulated patterns.

I also really like Ahrex hooks and use them in my game changers.

I have Fulling Mill Competition Heavyweight hooks on order for soft hackles. 3x heavy wire.

Firehole makes nice hooks for a good price as well.

For Trout I like size 12 to 18 with most of my ties on #14's and 16's. Personally I lean toward whatever is least expensive or on sale as long as I know the name. Most of my fishing is tight quarters on small rivers. Lots of overhanging and submerged brush so I tend to loose flies before things like rust or head cement failing become an issue. The trout in my area seem to max out in at 16 inches. I haven't had a hook fail, knots yes but not the hook-

Just depends on ebay. I'm tying I like the umpqua u series hig hooks quite a lot and they're reasonably priced, I'm actually not sure why they're so cheap because the quality is excellent. I use a lot of mustads that I usually buy from sportsmen's warehouse like 5$ for a 50 pack for things like drys small streamers and nymphs. The only model I'm more particular about is the gamagatsu b10s in smaller sizes for hair bugs and clousers with bead chain eyes, the light wire makes them easy to flip and they have a bit deeper hook shape than many stinger type hooks.

I usually use what's available locally at the fly shops I frequent. I use Tiemco, Gamakatsu, Orvis brand, Partridge and Umpqua. They cover most of the trout flies I tie. For warm water and salt, mainly Tiemco , Gamakatsu and Eagle Claw. I prefer a wide gape hook and straight eye hooks for all my patterns.

For a bazillion years there were Mustad 3906B for wet flies, 9672 for nymphs and Mustad 94833 for dry flies. All any of the local stores carried,

I'm liking the Gamakatsu and Tiemco (TMC) hooks lately. Still use the Mustad 9672 for woolly buggers and large nymphs/streamers, but when they run out it will be TMC. The TMC 200R ties up into a nice nymph shape, and works for foam hoppers as well.

As far as sizes:

Dries on 14 & 16 (have at least one pattern on a 10 for drakes /March browns)

Nymphs on 6 to 18

Streamers on 2 to 12

Hoppers 8 to 12

There is a crossover in the Nymphs/Streamers for some patterns in how they are fished.

For the last few years, I mainly use Montana Fly Company hooks. They have a very decent hook, in all the sizes and styles I need. They can be purchased through Dream Drift Flies. They also sell Tiemco and Umpqua hooks. Since the MFC hooks have never failed me yet, I have no reason to change.

I'm a fan of TMC hooks, but if I was starting out and I was trying to condense my trout hook selection I'd go with a box of Mustad or bag of MFC dry fly hooks in sizes 12, 14, 16, and 18. You can use dry fly hooks for both dries and nymphs, but it's harder to make a dry fly float well when it's tied on a heavy wire nymph hook. For streamers and buggers I'd add a heavier wire and a 1X or maybe 2X long shank nymph hook in sizes 6 and 8. I'm not a fan of extra long shank streamer hooks, fish have a tendency to come off more often on them in my experience.

Ok check down in the sales forum one of the members is selling a bunch of different kinds of hooks fairly priced I've purchased from him before.

I use TMC, Daiichi, Mustad, Fulling Mill, Hanak, Firehole, Dohiku, Gamakatsu, Partridge, Alec Jackson and Hends...

PT/TB