Fly Tying
DarrellP

Who is your best tying pupil

I'm right handed and took golf lessons from a left handed instructor. It was awesome because he was able to face me and demonstrate in a perfect mirror image. Trying demonstrating on the other side of the table for that perfect mirror image.

In the nicest possible way I don't know nor care. People have shared what they know about fly tying with me. I have tried to share what I have learned, and am still learning, with others. Often something I put out to help one person, who has asked, will, I hope, help others. I've no idea who has taken this furthest. Those I have learned from have given their knowledge freely, I just try to pay what I owe them forward.
Cheers,

C.

I'm right handed and took golf lessons from a left handed instructor. It was awesome because he was able to face me and demonstrate in a perfect mirror image. Trying demonstrating on the other side of the table for that perfect mirror image.

That's how we did it. The biggest challenge all said and done was the whip finish. And I had to show him the wraps backwards. If I forward wrapped then he was picking up reverse wraps. Since I wanted him to do forward wraps I had to go in reverse. Honestly some steps it was easier for me to learn to tie left handed when he wasn't here, then when he showed up I could demonstrate over his shoulders or sitting next to him. Well ultimately he got it at any rate.

Actually, this has been mentioned before in this thread. I think I am the best pupil - I take learning and teaching fly tying seriously. I would be lying if I don't admit learning every day - even after tying for more than 50 years!

I'll assume everyone has seen the movie, "Braveheart"? In it, Murron gives Wallace a flower at his Father's funeral, and years later he returns to marry her? He's been carrying it the whole time.

I watched this young girl watch Rich's grandson Tony, as he tied one of his mop flies for her and her family. She had that look in her eyes. 15 or 20 years from now, she'll show up in Tony's life, still holding onto that fly and they'll live happily ever after !!!

Geez Mike your such a romantic!