Fly Tying
Mark Knapp

What do you do at your day job?

Engineer Tech. For a civil engineering firm for the last 12 years. Drafting and field inspections for projects ranging from repairs on hydro dams to new substations. Weekend warrior white water raft guide when needed.

There's a lot of very interesting occupations showing up here. I wonder if fly tying naturally attracts people that are otherwise interestingly occupied or is my question just selective in itself? Maybe if you thought you didn't have anything interesting to say, you wouldn't answer this thread.

I wouldn't be surprised if a host percentage of fly tiers had interesting/unusual jobs than most it's a different kind of challenging hobby with no real reward outside of personal pride and wanting to create things that function.

At one time I was a "wanna be".

Now I am a "useta be".

Use to be an orthodontist, retired now.

41 years in the dental profession, 35 years with my own practice in Orthodontics.

Now I volunteer at the bike co-op wrenching on bicycles and tie a few flies and fly fish.

Am an assistant coach to my son who is head coach for a local high school bass fishing club.

Bass Club fishing is an IHSA state championship high school event in our state.

Nothing interesting here. Im a warehouse material handler at a large animal pharmaceutical company. Mind-numbing work.

Police officer for 32 years, 23 as a detective. Investigated just about everything but the last 20 years were spent in violent crimes of rape, child abuse/sexual assault, robbery, murder and other forms of general mayhem. It was time to move on so at the end of last year I retired but ended up accepting a detective position with another agency investigating insurance fraud. First time I've ever investigated any type of fraud. I have yet to wake up and say to myself, "I don't want to go to work today." When that day happens I'll retire for good. There have been plenty of days where once at work I wished I stayed home but so far I've enjoyed everyday.

i just clean carpet mostly residental . still doing it by myself since 1978. gillege what school is your soon at , i know alot of the coaches

Joined the local 300 laborers in 1990 for 1 year.

Started working for private investigators full time for about 20 years n then went part time and became a part-time realtor here in the Los Angeles area. Lets see what's next!

I have worked for a class 1 railroad for the last 15 years. First 10 as a conductor/trainman and the last 5 as a locomotive engineer. Also, spent almost 4 years prior to this as a clerk for another railroad.

I started out as a machinist then tool designer then machine designer and finally retired as as a medical device engineer. After years of retirement (besides being a volunteer firefighter and president of a rural water supply corporation) Im embarking on a new phase of my life that I hope will be more fun than work.

Use to be a certified welder and fabricator for an industrial shop for a number of years. Got sick of that lifestyle and punching a clock so left that life behind and for the past 18 years I've been a full time custom rod builder. Money is not even close to being as good but there's more to life than money. I'm much happier these days than I was before.

I've been an auto mechanic going on 16 years now. First 10 for Infiniti, now with Nissan. Infinitis were much nicer cars but there variety with Nissan and all the new advanced safety features they keep coming out with really keep me on my toes. Been a master Tech for 7 years now, so I get to work on the gtr and new Cummins diesels and even the all electric leafs.

Been in the building industry and residential construction for the past 30 years, the last 10 working for myself then just recently fell into a position as a maintenance supervisor for a church owned retreat and conference center. Thinking this will be my retirement job. Great benefits, slower pace and a lot less hard on me physically. Plus there's a pond right behind my house, access to a large canal, and private access to a large stretch of the James River. Lots of Bass, shad, and catfish to be caught.

Retired LEO after 33 years. Second job: I'm now at 74 the world's oldest Chippendale Dancer.

Retired 10 years from MN/Dot as a civil eng tech doing CADD design on roadways and then doing the entire computer update of lighting systems for the interstate systems.