Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flyty1

The meaning of. Mother's day

In southeastern Massachusetts, Mother's day signaled the start of shad chasing herring up river from the ocean. If you have never had the chance to fish for American shad on a fly rod, you are missing on a great experience! Any little fly rhat replicates a shad dart (flourescent colored head and craft fur, kip tail, or bucktail wing) will suffice. The shad aren't feeding - they are spawning like salmon - but will hit out of agression. Go out and give them a try on a 4 or 5 weight rod. You may just hook into a freshwater tarpon!

under normal conditions Mothers day used to mean the run of white bass in illinois,wisc rivers. another tell tale sign was the liliacs blooming , not this spring

In southeastern Massachusetts, Mother's day signaled the start of shad chasing herring up river from the ocean. If you have never had the chance to fish for American shad on a fly rod, you are missing on a great experience! Any little fly rhat replicates a shad dart (flourescent colored head and craft fur, kip tail, or bucktail wing) will suffice. The shad aren't feeding - they are spawning like salmon - but will hit out of agression. Go out and give them a try on a 4 or 5 weight rod. You may just hook into a freshwater tarpon!

I live in southeastern Ma. Any rivers you could recommend?

Mike

Normally...Runoff has started in most places and rivers are swollen. Few tailwaters are not, they will be crowded. The 2nd major annual hatch of the year, caddis, is getting pushed off by the high flows. Stoneflies are moving. I don't like fishing high water, therefore I am entering that in between time, I call it lake fishing season.

I live in southeastern Ma. Any rivers you could recommend?

Mike

Try the North River in Pembroke below the dam - good fishing all the way to the mouth of the river.

In Michigan, Mother's Day means that trout fishing has officially taken over top billing in most anglers' minds, over the steelhead fishing that has dominated since the previous November. 8-weights, and chuck-and-duck rigs have been put away for another year, and the 4- and 5-weights are the order of the day. Depending on what the weather's been like, the Dark Hendrickson mayflies are usually either done or almost done hatching. (This year has been cold and wet, so they're just now hitting their stride.) The Light Hendricksons and Sulphurs are on deck. Caddis and stoneflies are filling in the gaps; more and bigger ones in evidence every day as the weather warms. With another couple of weeks of decent weather, we'll be seeing Gray Drakes, then later Brown Drakes and finally the much-ballyhooed Hexagenia hatch to round out June and take us into the dog days. At that point, some switch to terrestrials, some wait for high water and throw streamers, and still others--like me--turn their attention to smallmouth bass.

It's a wonderful time to be alive! :)