Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
ihang10

Nipigon June 2019

Spent three days fishing Jessie Lk, Lk Nipigon and the Black Sturgeon river. Weather was unseasonably cold, summer is late and our guide opined prime brook fishing is probably 1-2 weeks away. We booked last week to hit the prime season of course.

Of the Brooks we caught, smallest was 16 and the largest was 24; half of our catch was over 20. The smaller brooks were in Lake Nipigon and the hawgs were in Jessie. What a massive system of water they have there. The occasional pike, whitefish, herring of some sort were mixed in and kept you engaged in between Speck hookups.

The last night there we went on the Sturgeon river and waded for a few hours after dinner. Once we got the hole dialed in, we were catching walleye on every-other cast, with a pike and smallie mixed in. Biggest walleye was 24-ish. Day earlier reports had sturgeon and steelheads in the water, but we didnt see any.

7-weight full sink lines at times were not enough for the current. I fished 300 & 350gr lines. Weighted white smelt (bunny), olive zonkers a pine squirrel muddlers.

All-in-all, we caught seven different species of fish.

While not a yearly trip for me, Id do it again after I check off a few other places I want to go.

I have no idea how to link pictures from imgur. Ive tried to before with no success.

imgur.jpg

using imgur, just click "copy" and paste into your forum thread

note: if your photos are too large in size for posting on forums, youll need to resize them

Finally got on my computer:

2Ft03Xx.jpg

bSG9hUG.jpg

gvTk0SM.jpg

mYFZacp.jpg

Here's the derby winner:

mgNpKUt.jpg

WPfj7ba.jpg

7IQUSwA.jpg

Didn't need anything but these two flies:

oSOvBJA.jpg

7FyqxEA.jpg

Absolute beauties! I've always heard about the huge brookies in Nipigon. Would love to get there myself someday.

From where you live, it would be an easy trip to do.

Third picture, 7wt, green rod, black reel in the background; you built that for me 3-4 years ago. It was serving me well on this trip until I tore up my full-sink line and had to switch to my 8wt.

Those patterns with the purple/pink spots are very pretty.

Thank you for posting those pictures.