Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
ihang10

Nipigon June 2019

That is some gorgeous water. But even in the depths of Summer ... it looks cold to me. I know that's crazy, but true.

Absolute beauties! I've always heard about the huge brookies in Nipigon. Would love to get there myself someday.

I'm right there with you Steve -- the Nipigon River and environs have been on my "must-do" list for years

That is some gorgeous water. But even in the depths of Summer ... it looks cold to me. I know that's crazy, but true.

Water temps on the surface, in the first week of June were 45-47. I would expect it doesn't get much warmer because of the river system it is. The current running through that system is incredibly impressive. After going the whole guide route, and seeing how things work, I thought I would do it next time on my own, but then there is navigating that boat through some hairy falls (Virgin Falls on Nipigon, and the narrows on Frasier). No thanks.

On the lower sections we only saw one other guide boat.

Oddly, I've been further West in Ontario, and those granite lakes warm up right proper in late July.