Fly Tying
flytire

July Flies From the Bench

after additional research on this pattern, i found better instructions for tying the pontoon hopper
Pontoon-Popper-2-800.jpg
Pontoon-Popper-2-800-Right.jpg
Pontoon Hopper
Hook - Dry fly style
Thread - Color to match
Body - Turkey quill for large hoppers - 1 1/2 inches and up;
goose quills for medium sized hoppers - 3/4 to 1 1/4 inch
Legs/Pontoons - Smaller quills from duck or other small game bird wing feathers
Feelers - Moose mane
Eyes - Black painted eyes
Paint - Main body - Apple green acrylic
Legs/pontoon - Burnt orange acrylic

If you are the creative type, you can paint the body to look like a real hopper.

It certainly is not a very durable fly and I doubt that it would survive to catch a second fish.

Additional Research - Limestone Legends by Norm Shires, Jim Gilford

the-pontoon-hopper-1-2.jpg
the-pontoon-hopper-3-4.jpg
the-pontoon-hopper-5-6.jpg
the-pontoon-hopper-7-8.jpg
the-pontoon-hopper-9-10.jpg
the-pontoon-hopper-11-12.jpg
the-pontoon-hopper-13-14.jpg

Stop!!! Llama time!!

2vbjzt1.jpg

sy7137.jpg

nvtwti.jpg

Stop-Hammer-Time.png

Last year when I went to Alaska, I tied up dozens of Dolly Llamas, and given the time and effort to tie them vs success rates, this year Im taking more intruders, hareballs and clousers.

Everything worked equally as well, but the time to tie a dolly llama vs a popsicle, intruder or similar fly, IMO, it is not worth the time.

YMMV

The first salmon I ever caught was on a dolly llama, so theres a certain sentimental value and I keep a few in my salmon box, but Im moving on from them.

I thought the same, the first couple were tricky and slow to tie. I hate having a collar of thread behind the cone so it took a few ties to get better at it. Still not perfect, but I can turn them out pretty fast. I do have a bunch of fuchia, pink, and cerise hareballs from years ago. Earlier this month tied up a couple dozen clousers in various colors (posted in this thread also). Those intruders look cool too, I have some popsicles and flash flies that are similar.

Here are the hareballs I tied, I think it was in 2009 IIRC, that I still have. I did a horrible job finishing the thread!! Back then I didn't care at all.

28sbm2s.jpg

Finally had time to pack some hair. Not my best work, but itll fish.

post-59266-0-90069900-1563854516_thumb.jpeg

Wow Chugbug, I've seen flies tied like that in shops but never knew how it was done. That's impressive!

X2 well done... CB did you dye the yellow?

Thanks Noah, fishnphil & fshng2, I wanted to do something special in honor of flytire's last swap. Not died yellow, probably oversaturated the color tinkering with it on the computer. It's Pearsall's primrose marabou.

Thanks Noah, fishnphil & fshng2, I wanted to do something special in honor of flytire's last swap. Not died yellow, probably oversaturated the color tinkering with it on the computer. It's Pearsall's primrose marabou.

Nice work, I look forward to seeing it in person from the swap.