Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Mark Knapp

Ice fishing interior Alaska for rainbow, char and coho

Ice?? Is that still last year's ice, next year's ice, or always ice. Summer here is almost over and thinking about next ice season.

Ice?? Is that still last year's ice, next year's ice, or always ice. Summer here is almost over and thinking about next ice season.

This video is from the winter of '18-'19. This ice went out in May and will start to form again in early Sept.

It takes us a couple of months to get around to the editing.

Great job with the editing. Looks like a great time. We are lucky to have fishable ice for more than a month some years. But love to get out and do that.

"Not too cold ..." IS too cold. But it does look like a fun way to catch dinner.

I've seen plenty of ice fishing rods for sale ... with reels. If I may ask ... why aren't you using reels.

"Not too cold ..." IS too cold. But it does look like a fun way to catch dinner.

I've seen plenty of ice fishing rods for sale ... with reels. If I may ask ... why aren't you using reels.

Sure you may ask. I have rods with reels in my mobile shanty. I use them when I expect to catch bigger fish or if I'm fishing in deeper water. But for shallow water like we are fishing in the video the jigging sticks are fine. I also take a lot of novice fisherman and lots of children fishing so the jigging sticks work out better for that.

It's actually much more convenient to just drop the jig right back into the water at the right dept you were fishing if you don't have a reel, especially if you are using a bobber.

That's some salt of the earth fishing right there. I have and fish jiggle sticks routinely, often over anything with a reel. I was surprised with the two hole limit and it made me appreciate our five device limit.