Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
xvigauge

Anyone Collect Watches?

I don't really collect but have 2 pocket watches from my paternal grandfather and 2 from my maternal grandfather. One from each grandfather are for my son and the other 2 are or my daughter. Family "heirlooms" is important to them as is family history so have kept the watches for that reason. Just haven't gotten around to digging them out for each kid.

Same here ... I have a couple of watches that were given to me by Mom or Dad, or something.

They are sitting there, hopefully gaining worth so I can sell them for more than a "Happy Meal".

Must be a trend lol. I also have two pocket watches that I got after my grandfather passed. Well actually now I have one. I gave the other one to my Nephew a couple years ago so that he had one. Something about pocket watches I really do like a lot. Makes me think of a time when people were much more dignified than they are these days.

I had a small collection of pocket watches and sold them when I needed some extra money for our move from Florida to Tennessee two years ago.

Joe

I love that Spaceview, Rolf. One of my few memories of my youth, seeing one of those and thinking how "sci-fi" it looked!

I guess watch collectors are few and far between in the fly tying and fly fishing realm. A few years ago I had quite an extensive watch collection, especially vintage automatic and mechanical hand wind wrist watches. I had an interesting and profitable hobby going. I gradually lost interest in all the wheeling and dealing so I sold a many of them and kept the ones I really liked. I have quite a few Seiko and Orient automatics and Citizen Eco-Drives (solar powered). These are my favorites. My latest interest in watches has been the new and vintage Russian Komandirskie hand wind mechanical wrist watches. They are relatively simple, built like a tank, extremely rugged, keep good time, inexpensive and there are enough dial designs to enable collecting and to keep my interest. And, you don't have to order them from the Russian Federation (these watches are of course made in Russia) as there are enough dealers here in the USA who are happy to sell them to you.

Joe