Fly Tying
dogfacedoc

Lamps for fly tying nights

I should add that the light was to short for me but it's got a long stem as far as lights go. It can be clipped anywhere including on your vise. The reason I like it is because I'm cheap and lazy. There was no way I was paying 50, 100 or 150 for a light to tie flys when not at home. I also could not be bothered with lugging around a big light with a big base along with my vise base. I know, lazy right?

... it should be provided by each individual tyer not the instructor

This is the real answer to the problem.

I've had the opportunity to attend tying events at several locations across the Country. None of them have ever provided "extra" lighting for any of the tiers. If someone attending one of the sessions is having a problem with lighting, show them the options available that THEY can buy and bring with them to the next session.

Understood, but alot of these guys are brand new to fly fishing and tying. Some have never fished at all. Everything is provided from tying kits to materials. The only the participants have to pay for is their beer :)

I'm working with Project Healing Waters and our venue for fly tying nights is not the best for light. I'm still young enough that I can see the thread, but some of the older guys are having difficulties. Last tying night I used my cell phone flashlight to help a guy tie a woolly bugger. I was thinking of picking up a few led lamps, the problem is that outlets are at a premium. Do you guys know of any decent battery operated ones? I'm going to make some backdrops, probably out of posterboard or something similar, to help them see a little better.

Do they have to be battery powered?. That really limits the possibilities.

My opinion is to take an extension cord and a power strip. We've powered 15 led lamps from one power strip at fly tying nights I attend. Here is what I use. It's on sale for 5 bucks.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Style-Selections-13-25-in-Adjustable-Stainless-Steel-LED-Clip-On-Clip-Desk-Lamp-with-Metal-Shade/1000003084

I modified mine by getting rid of the clip and adding an extension tube that slips over a rod I added to my vise base.

attachicon.gif base2.jpg

Where did you get the extension tube and exactly how is it fitted over a rod and attached to the base. Looks like a great idea but I don't quite follow just how you did it. Thanks

There's probably plenty of ways to do it but this is how I did mine. It was one of the more useful and functional things I ever did.

I drilled a 3/8's hole in my base, inserted a 3/8's rod into the hole and plug welded it from the bottom.

I took a 3/8's ID machine spacer/bushing and welded the threaded rod nut from the lamps clip onto the end of the tube so the flexible lamp stem screws into the top of the tube. You could use small pipe nipple or any other tube steel as long the ID is close to the size of the rod in the base.

Drilled a hole towards the top on the side of the tube for the lamp wire to pass through. Cut the lamp wire, passed it through the hole in the tube and soldered the wire back together. The hole for the wire has to be higher then the rod length.

Drilled and tapped a hole towards the bottom of the tube for a tensioner screw to hold the tube to the rod.

I use an old architect light retrofitted with an outdoor led flood bulb, throws a ton of white light and was super cheap. I do have 3 ott lite power compact lights that i got years ago but i dont often use them.

LED's have brought a revolution for anyone wanting small precise lighting... something I need to take a closer look at.....

Years and years ago I went with the old fashioned type of task light (the last light shown on post #13...) -but with clamp ons so I could attach one to my fly tying station and two of them for my rodbuilding bench (one for each end of the bench). They've worked well for years - but are certainly far from ideal. I did come up with one thing you don't see very much - and that's a large hanging fluorescent fixture that hangs over my rodbuilding bench (it's eight feet long - and thirty inches wide...) - but instead of the standard two fluorescent bulbs - I was able to find color corrected bulbs... and they've worked out quite well over the years....

I'll be watching this thread - it's interesting...

I have found that most of your led desk lights can also be powered by rechargeable battery packs,just have to find double ended chord.My pro lite will stay on for 7 hours.

Capt Bob LeMay, they sell LED bulbs that will screw into those architect lamps you have and they also sell LED replacement bulbs for the fluorescent fixtures. Two things that bother me with LEDs are they screw up the color perception and if I happen to look at one of them it takes quite a while for my vision to return.

On a side note the LED headlights are a dangerous road hazard because they damage the eyes of anyone who accidentally looks into them, they have no dimming mechanism, they turn off part of the LEDS but the remaining are just as bright as ever.