Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
TIER

You guys are darn LUCKY in Florida

Anywhere you go ... there you are!

But I agree with you in some ways. I'm a wanderer. But I've never been "bored" in any place I've lived. I moved on because I wanted to see new things, not because I was "tired" of where I was.

If you get the chance to travel, take it. When you're my age, perhaps you will be able to make the claims I do.

19 Countries and all 50 United States. I don't think I'm done, yet. But I'm letting the company pay for my traveling for the time being.

Can't talk about Florida without mentioning the oppressive stifling heat and humidity. I've been to Florida and will no doubt at some time visit Florida again, but I have yet to see Alaska. I'll take Alaska sight unseen over Florida. Do you know Florida has no ice. For real, I'm not making that up.

Do you know Florida has no ice. For real, I'm not making that up.

Yes, I DO know that ... and I am SOOOOOOOOOOO happy it doesn't !!! Instead, we can go fly fishing 365 days a year !!!

The last one is a Blue Tilapia being held by the handsomest 60 year old in Florida. Yes, I mean me. They're an invasive species here, and usually only caught by bet or by accident. That one was by accident. If I could find a fly that ALWAYS caught their interest, I'd be tying them up. Tilapia fight like 'gills, and at 3 or 4 pounds, like that one, they're beast !!!

Yeah, we have catfish. They're not usually caught on a fly, either, but they WILL attack prey. I've never caught any of the bruisers known to exist here, though.

There's a retired New Yorker running a trout fly fishing school outside Punta Gorda with Jack having his customers casting dry flies to ponds full of tilapia.

Tilapia will hit flies. Like I said, I've caught a few that way. But they are VERY finicky if well fed. I suspect that those fish in those ponds are kept fed ... just enough to survive. If they're hungry enough, they'll eat anything.

In the ponds near me where they are, you'll see them chasing each other near the banks. Cast anything you want to them. Rarely will you get any interest. Get lucky, and you'll find a male in it's nest, which they NEED to keep clean. If your fly didn't spook it, that male will scoop it up to move it. That's the lucky, rare fish you get, when they have plenty of food. All you trout guys, if you move to or come to Florida, bring your trout flies with you. You might happen upon a presentation and pattern that actually draws feeding strikes. I'd like to know if you do !!!

Yeah I don't like the Ice too much. Boring (Sorry Mark, but I enjoy regular fishing over ice fishing). I mean, I would like it If I had time to do it. I am VERY busy in the winter. But fishing has it's season, and after that it's hunting and trapping.

Yeah, they are the reason I got into fly fishing. I was in Iraq and found a magazine called The Drake in a book exchange. Had an article on chasing redfish in GA, where I was stationed. A week after I got back I bought a rod and started practicing. I still haven't caught a red on the fly, but that won't last forever!