Fly Tying
Mark Knapp

What are you working on, fly tying or fishing related please.

Recent display that went to Project Healing Waters

Trying to figure out photo size, not sure how to pull from facebook

Dont want to have to click to enlarge. I take pic, go to photo shop, set for 1000, add from " choose file", they come out small.

so this is set at 2000 wide, still have to click on it, I SUC

post-4571-0-55295400-1574966227_thumb.jpg

Bruce all of us are good at one thing or another, you are very good at these displays. Here's what I do.

Upload the images to a photo hosting site like Smug Mug

right click on the image you want to share.

Click on "copy image location"

go back to "what are you working on" in FTF and click on the image icon right above your text.

paste in the location of the image you saved and click OK.

It's a piece of cake, or pie, pumpkin pie, or maybe pecan, I prefer the pecan myself. It's Thanksgiving.

Happy thanksgiving everybody.

Steps for Hosting pics on Facebook and posting to FTFF

1. Step_1 - Post picture to FB

step_1.jpg

2.Step_2 - Open pic in FB

step_2.jpg

3.Step_3 - Right Click on image and Select "Copy Image Address"

step_3.jpg

4. Step_4 - Open FTFF, "Reply to this topic", click on image icon, Paste image address

step_4.jpg

Hope this helps

Kimo

A room recently became available in my house so I moved all of my fly tying stuff into it. As I was about to get it all done, and saw how much there was, I was beginning to wonder if I had a problem. Shortly after that a friend of mine came to visit and with one look at the room he confirmed it with "yep, you have a problem, you might need some help". The first step to a cure is acknowledging the problem, so here it goes.

Hi, my name is Mark and I think I have a problem, an obsession. I really like fly tying stuff. I like to tie flies well enough but I really, really like the stuff. Almost none of this stuff was bought new, most of it is from estate sales, store closings and liquidations as well as used lots of stuff from eBay.

Here's the room.

DSCF4305-XL.jpg

All the drawers are full, I just haven't gotten them all labeled yet. The first two rows have all the hair and fur, with just a few drawers of feathers. The third row has all feathers and bird skins. The forth has all the wrap-able stuff like thread, wire, floss, chenille, yarn and tinsel. The fifth has the beads and hooks and some of the synthetics. The closest row to us is the lure and rod rebuilding supplies, the reel parts, leader making stuff, the fly lines and fly line making stuff. In the totes is all the overflow.

DSCF4306-XL.jpg

The bench and a desk for the computer.

DSCF4304-XL.jpg

A close-up of the fly tying desk.

Thanks for listening.

After a short break from tying to move into my new tying room I am tying again. I'm am continuing to experiment with acetate floss wrapped over things like Larva Lace or wire and melted to simulate segmentation. These are all ice flies for trout and char of no particular known pattern.

DSCF4315-XL.jpg

A Russian style two headed jig hook with wire, acetate floss and guinea.

DSCF4319-XL.jpg

Some kind of midge with brass wire, acetate floss, peacock herl and marabou.

DSCF4327-XL.jpg

A bead head with Larva Lace, acetate and guinea.

DSCF4335-XL.jpg

A bead head with Larva Lace, acetate, peacock herl and hackle.

DSCF4332-XL.jpg

A bead head with wire, acetate, peacock herl and soft hackle.

I posted all this stuff here instead of "Flies from the Vise" because they are experimental, of no known pattern and, they are things I'm working on.

Mark,

First of all: A sincere thank you. I thought I had a problem but your post has allayed my fears. I'm a piker compared to you and your collection of materials.

Nice job of the tying desk. You've given me an idea or two for when I get around to modifying mine.

Two bins of caribou. You should use some caribou in your nymphs. Thats a lot of stuff.

Caribou, like all members of the deer family have hollow hair, thus it floats so it might be counter intuitive for a nymph. I could try it for higher floating nymphs. It is super good for things like elk hair and deer hair stuff (unless you're a stickler for tradition). It is the most buoyant of the deer hairs (that I know of). I plan on experimenting with it quite a bit. Frogs and mice jump to mind right away.

Mark,

First of all: A sincere thank you. I thought I had a problem but your post has allayed my fears. I'm a piker compared to you and your collection of materials.

Nice job of the tying desk. You've given me an idea or two for when I get around to modifying mine.

Thanks bud, and you are welcomed. smile.png laugh.png biggrin.png.

Mark That is a lot of material. You have your room organized nicely. I really like your tool holder. Did you make that?

Mark That is a lot of material. You have your room organized nicely. I really like your tool holder. Did you make that?

Yes, The base of it started out life as a piano key board cover (after it was an oak tree). I got it at our dumpster transfer site. I mitered it and added the top from an oak board I had.

Mark,

If you ask me you have an obsession as you said. Is it a problem? They say beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I'd say you don't have a problem. Some obsessions are healthy. Keep tying and obtaining more "stuff"!