Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
vicrider

So what happened to Steve's Christmas Rod Giveaway?

Pyme,

I'm not sure why you think I commented on the actual medical quality of VA care. As far as offering an opinion about the VA or anything else for that matter, well with all due respect I am perfectly capable of and will form an informed opinion given reliable information. While it is true that I have never been treated by the VA, I do have close personal friends that have and continue to be treated there. No one that I have personally talked to about the VA has had parts fall or anything horrid but I don't really poke at the subject either. I will continue to assume that the actual hands on quality of care is reasonable unless consistently shown otherwise. I also have a very close friend that after she left the U.S. Army was a doctor for the VA. She once refused to operate on a patient because of faulty and dangerous equipment. Obviously the doctors can be just as frustrated. She and the VA parted ways shortly after that. Mike obviously has had a different experience from you and given the scope of that situation it is more than just unfortunate. Mike has never given me any reason to believe that he is anything other than honorable (not saying you have!) so I believe him. From first hand experience I know that type of scenario is not exclusive to the VA but I will take his experience and consider it in my overall opinion. Most of my friends have complained about the wait to get treated at one time or another and were thankful they didn't need emergency "anything". Yes if it is a blood spurting type of emergency I agree, go to the nearest ER. That said you shouldn't have to ever wait weeks or months to be seen by a cardiologist on a referral from anoter doctor. Look I'm not knocking the VA and if you thought that I was then I do apologize. My opinion is that the VA does a lot of good for a lot of people. I just feel that if you put yourself on the line for this country you shouldn't have to wait for pretty much anything that you were promised in exchange for that service, VA or otherwise. That is not a comment on the quality of care but more the timing of it upon occasion. The fact of the matter is that I have much more personal experience, first and second hand, with maltreatment in the private sector than I have heard about from people that I trust talking about the VA. I have no idea if the percentage of complaints is higher for one side or the other. You say you have had good experiences and I am glad to hear it, really. I think you certainly deserve that and everyone else does too regardless of treatment at the VA or in the private sector. I will also acknowledge that most people including myself tend to be more vocal about negative dealing rather than positive so I am much more likely to hear about grouchiness therefore I do take things with a grain of salt.

So maybe we can both agree to spend more time on the water when we can, as often as we can, and catch some fish instead of disagreeing about things we don't personally have the ability to change. Well at least I don't, I shouldn't assume you don't. LOL. Doesn't mean we can't talk about it though. Perhaps if fate has it in mind I may even have the pleasure of throwing a line with you one day, who knows.

Swamp

Fair enough Swamp.

I tend to get defensive of the VA system.

Like I tell people, when I go see my doctor, or anybody else in the system, I don't call the local news that evening and tell them how great my day was. But somebody who isn't happy will, and the media love to run with those stories.

As far as what we deserve, I don't feel like I deserve anything special just cause I chose to sign on the dotted line. It's an all volunteer force now, and has been for a long time. I certainly didn't give them 22 years just so I could get a free flu shot. ;-)

Anyway, my personal first-hand experience with the VA has been quite positive, and I like to give credit where credit is due.

And yes, maybe some day we'll cast a line together. Just hope neither of us gets hurt that day, or wyell really be in a quandary about where to go or what to do to get fixed up. ;-)

Just an FYI. Still doing this, but just hammered with a huge order for about 16 rods that I'm working my way through but soon as I get caught up we'll get this going for someone.