Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flytire

Passwords

Well its a new year and time to revisit all of my website passwords and replace the old ones with new ones for safety reasons alone

anybody else routinely revise their passwords?

What are you going to use for your new password? dry.png ph34r.png

All of my work related sites have 3 month rotations ... gotta come up with something new every 3 months. mad.gif To top that off, many of them are now requiring 14 characters or more. Now I have to remember complete sentences.

All of my personal sites ... I update them once in a while, but I don't have a timeline on when to do it.

What are you going to use for your new password? dry.png ph34r.png

none of your business! :)

my credit union is every 6 months but everything else is whenever

All of my work related sites have 3 month rotations ... gotta come up with something new every 3 months. :angry: To top that off, many of them are now requiring 14 characters or more. Now I have to remember complete sentences.

I have a good friend that is an IT consultant. He is of the opinion that the ever-increasing demands of longer, more involved, and more frequent password changes are actually counterproductive.

He said that because we have to change them so often, and into such long and involved codes, that we can't remember all of them and all of the changes. So what do we do? We write them down. He said in a typical office, he can find half of the passwords by looking in drawers, under keyboards, etc, and searching for scraps of paper and Post-it notes.

When we could commit them to memory, a hacker had a chance at guessing them, but now we just leave the roadmap for them if they only take a minute and look for it.

I don't see the need to change them on social sites. I don't think there are too many people that will want to pretend they are me on face book. What a scandal that would be.

Pyme, I think your friend is right. And the stupid places that just show black dots instead of allowing me to see my typos just cost them money when I have to call and have them reset it all after 3-4 mistakes, Chances are that if I hit a lower case instead of an upper case once I'll do the same thing ten times in a row unless I can see the mistake. One bank we did use called for new passwords every six weeks and partly up case-part low case-some numbers and at least one special character, can't ever reuse an old combination- so not only write down the new mess, but keep a log of all the old ones so you don't repeat. Averaged three lockouts per password change We have a different bank now.

And google keeps track of all those passwords anyway. They are only used to make us believe we have a tiny bit of privacy,

tjm, I don't know what operating system but I use Chrome and if you go into settings, advanced, you can bring up your passwords and open those dots to real letters. I don't know right off if that's for all passwords or just Chrome saved password. I let Chromes remember my passwords and since I use the same password on a few sites anyone finding my very simple, easy to guess password could have it all. 'Course, all don't amount to much.

Only committed 2 to memory and will not change them. The other 100 or so? Too many different rules to remember but I do have most on a computer file. 2 caps, 1 number, and 5 lower case etc. You get the drift

I have an app on my phone where I store all of mine -- multiple online forums, social media, Paypal, banking, Amazon, etc. -- plus the work ones that all have to be changed every 30 days. I just have to remember the one password that unlocks the app.

I have "lifelock". So I just have all of mine on the side of a truck !!! dry.png

Remember those SSN ads? laugh.png