Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Bryon Anderson

Landing Net, Finally! (A long-ish story)

I have a guy that does stabilized wood and resin hybrids for my knife handles he does great work stabilizing before casting is important on objects that will be seeing a lot of temperature and moisture changes, he has a Facebook group I can give you the link too if you want.

That would be very helpful -- I'm just starting to learn about that whole process so any expert help would be great. :)

Byron, I have one of Jim Newland's landing nets. It's absolutely beautiful and to the point that I've never used it! I have other nets that I take out. It's Incredible workmanship. I'll add a photo or two if possible. Glad you're continuing his tradition.

0119151251a.jpg

0119151254.jpg

0119151255a.jpg

On 1/17/2022 at 12:59 PM, RanDwyer said:

Byron, I have one of Jim Newland's landing nets. It's absolutely beautiful and to the point that I've never used it! I have other nets that I take out. It's Incredible workmanship. I'll add a photo or two if possible. Glad you're continuing his tradition.

0119151251a.jpg

0119151254.jpg

0119151255a.jpg

RanDwyer thanks for sharing those! If you have one of his nets that's never seen water, you have something very special indeed. Jim stopped making nets the summer he bequeathed his tools and methods to me. 

The nets I've made are definitely inspired by his, but I have branched out into some slightly different styles. I'm a big fan of using burl wood that has been stabilized with colored resin for accents, and I've taken to either burning designs on the handles or creating inlays using crushed, colored stone. I will never be the woodcarver that Jim was, so those sweet little hand-carved trout in the oval window on the yokes of his nets are a Jim Newland exclusive signature. :) Jim also had an exclusive handle design that required a radial arm saw and a custom-made jig. I still have the jig somewhere, but I don't have a radial arm saw, so I had to figure out my own handle design. 

IMG_20210306_190317_228.jpg

IMG_20210207_182807_237.jpg

IMG_20210416_223802_560.jpg

received_2985605608214365.jpeg

IMG_20210616_150649_664.jpg

Now I have to get a pic and post it of a net I bought from Bryon a couple of years ago. I got the net for boat use so it has a longer handle and bigger hoop but still the great wood grain and finish of his smaller nets. It is for float use and drift boats for sure since it is heavy enough you wouldn't want to be carrying it around on the stream with you. Great work.

13 hours ago, vicrider said:

Now I have to get a pic and post it of a net I bought from Bryon a couple of years ago. I got the net for boat use so it has a longer handle and bigger hoop but still the great wood grain and finish of his smaller nets. It is for float use and drift boats for sure since it is heavy enough you wouldn't want to be carrying it around on the stream with you. Great work.

I remember that net vicrider - that was a fun one to build. Had some nice pyrography by my friend and artist Tom Reverman as I recall. :) Would love to see it again. 

Have known this young man since he was born. I’ve watched him grow into an amazing man. Last month alone he graduated high school in the top 15 of his class. Got his Maine whitewater guides license and was pinned with his Eagle award BSA. Not only that he had an additional 20 merit badges over and above his requirements. Oh yes he is 1 week away from completing his EMT course. I figured this net would make a fitting gift for all that he has done. 
Congratulations Tom Sylvester. 

IMG_2387.jpeg

IMG_2389.jpeg

He sounds like a stellar young man, of which this country needs more.  Achieving Eagle Scout tells a huge story all by itself about character and work ethic.  The net is a thoughtful remembrance for him, which I'm sure he will cherish . . .   

Regards,

Very nice gift he'll cherish more as the years go on. Sounds like he's already figured out the secret to success. 

On 6/7/2023 at 11:18 AM, essequamvideri said:

I figured this net would make a fitting gift for all that he has done. 

Gorgeous net for what sounds like an exemplary young man!