Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
partsman

cdc clamp

Kimo, thanks, I think that will be the direction I go. The swiss cdc clamp looks like the real deal, and I get the biggest kick out of Cheech at flyfishfood. I know they love for sure! Geez why do we have to have wives? I have already been given fair warning, YOU SPEND TO MUCH ON FLY TYING! Oops daisy I just order some more stuff! Love you honey!

Mike.

I took out the Chinese clips today for a quick spin, here goes.

Main thing is, they do work -- more than well enough to securely hold CDC, mink, and deer hair.

post-60546-0-02637200-1581787033_thumb.jpg

post-60546-0-32033200-1581787065_thumb.jpg

post-60546-0-31733300-1581787095_thumb.jpg

They also are more than clear enough to see how long the materials are, once clipped.

post-60546-0-24095300-1581787157_thumb.jpg

They also transferred the materials to a thread loop without a hiccup. The range of sizes available is more than enough. From teeny tiny to magnum.

post-60546-0-16396500-1581787225_thumb.jpg

post-60546-0-33476600-1581787248_thumb.jpg

One difference with the Petitjean clips, of course, is that there is no magic table clip to pop your feather stems into. I've never used a clip before, and when prepping the feathers for these chinese clips I could see how the Petitjean table clip would be very nice to have. I might make one out of foam (someone posted a how-to recently), and see how that goes. Meanwhile, I just used half my CDC feathers and stacked a few together to get some density. It worked well enough, it just left me with some half-feathers.

Another difference is that the clips have a round mouth with a little flat extended lip; The other clips come in at an angle. So what? Well, one of the things I've seen done with the Petitjean clip is to hold two clips together (with the materials facing the same direction) so that you can take the two materials together, one on top of the other, into a third clip. I tried doing that with these, and it will not work well with small or even medium materials.

Well, enough said. End game is, they do work, so if you want to try this out without breaking your bank, get them in a size or two. 38 mm is a good size for trout flies #10-14 or #16. Or buy the whole set from Amazon for $6 it looks like. If anyone else wants to try a free set, I've still got one extra, more than willing to ship them out.

I took out the Chinese clips today for a quick spin, here goes.

Main thing is, they do work -- more than well enough to securely hold CDC, mink, and deer hair.

attachicon.gif Clip with CDC feather.JPG

attachicon.gif Clip with coastal deer hair.JPG

attachicon.gif Clip with mink fur.JPG

They also are more than clear enough to see how long the materials are, once clipped.

attachicon.gif Clips with all three materials.JPG

They also transferred the materials to a thread loop without a hiccup. The range of sizes available is more than enough. From teeny tiny to magnum.

attachicon.gif Clip made flymph.JPG

attachicon.gif Clip made drowning caddis.JPG

One difference with the Petitjean clips, of course, is that there is no magic table clip to pop your feather stems into. I've never used a clip before, and when prepping the feathers for these chinese clips I could see how the Petitjean table clip would be very nice to have. I might make one out of foam (someone posted a how-to recently), and see how that goes. Meanwhile, I just used half my CDC feathers and stacked a few together to get some density. It worked well enough, it just left me with some half-feathers.

Another difference is that the clips have a round mouth with a little flat extended lip; The other clips come in at an angle. So what? Well, one of the things I've seen done with the Petitjean clip is to hold two clips together (with the materials facing the same direction) so that you can take the two materials together, one on top of the other, into a third clip. I tried doing that with these, and it will not work well with small or even medium materials.

Well, enough said. End game is, they do work, so if you want to try this out without breaking your bank, get them in a size or two. 38 mm is a good size for trout flies #10-14 or #16. Or buy the whole set from Amazon for $6 it looks like. If anyone else wants to try a free set, I've still got one extra, more than willing to ship them out.

Chug,

I rarely use the tables but I frequently combine two colors of CDC, dubbing and hair creating a composite loop.

I also found some of these clips $9.99 for 30 clips in two different sizes used for closing chip bags.

Someone just came up with an alternative use and is charging more. The American(Chinese) way.

Kimo

I bought a complete set of the Pettijean products at a decent deal a few years ago. Didn't use them for a long time but once I started to use them I realized just how great they work. The one I bought also has the pin to split thread and the contraption to use on loops which works fantastic. Far better than anything I've tried so far. Once you learn to use them on CDC and other feathers and fur they are an important part of your equipment. This is just a small part of the kit.

DSCF5582.JPG

Most of the "office clip" grabbers tend to allow the cdc to slip a bit more than we want. We found if we crazy glue short sections of rubber band to the heavy black, metal clips, the hold the cdc quite well. Take care & ...

I have been using the ones that Chug sent me quite a bit. I think they are chip bag clips and they work quite well. I have used them for marabou, soft hackles and hard hackles as well as blended or composite hackles. Thanks Chug.

I think I may try them with rubber band in them too but they do work pretty good just like they are. Thanks for the tip Al.

I got the Swiss CDC clamp and immediately found it easier to use, more secure in material hold and more precise in creating composite loops. Every tier has their preferences. It's great if a cheaper option works for you. My gauge is this, I can tie flies now I could not before or would not have tried before using this tool. That especially applies to sparse deer hair "soft hackle" using a single layer of comparadun type deer hair to "hackle" my wets. Cool.

A update, thanks for all the great replies and suggestions, I ended up buying the cdc swiss clamp. I have not used as of yet, trying to get some early season dries, and some nymphs tied up. The swiss clamp looks and feels like quality material, and Im looking forward to using it.

Mike.

Yep, just get some foam, cut it into a pie slice shape for different length cdc stems, cut some notches in it w/ a razor blade. Works like a charm

Made one out of a ten cent artificial sponge, which does work. Made another out of styrofoam and painters tape, I'll have to see which works better. Meanwhile for anyone experimenting like me the cheap clips are again on sale (5 for $1.33, free slow shipping), get the 38mm ones for CDC / normal size trout flies.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5PCS-Clear-Fly-Tying-Feather-Clips-Hackle-Holding-Tools-Fly-Fishing-Accessor-BX/223911354306?hash=item3422281fc2:m:my3EY1uqF6fgO5qtyZfupaA