Fly Tying
fshng2

Poppers, Sliders & Divers Show Us Your Patterns

That style paddle tail has been around for decades.

I was using these in the early 80's in North Carolina. Deadly for bass and other panfish.

1312664389877-1864312909.jpeg

Cool use of the design on a frog fly, though.

Bryon, those are first class. A lot of work. Down here you would need a weed guard, though.

Thanks fshng2 and DarrellP - weed guards actually would help up here, too, but I don't usually put them in because 9 times out of 10 I end up cutting them off while I'm fishing because I feel like they cause me to lose potential hookups. I'm probably wrong about that and just paranoid laugh.png

There was a recent discussion on a FB group about weed guards and what material to use. Many said use cheap mono, I mentioned the Hard Mason, but also mentioned that none of them last, and often get kinked up to the point that they become ineffective. I use the two prong mono types & the folded wire the most, but as you they also deflect strikes sometimes. Some places I've fished they're needed, but would sometimes cause misses on the hookups. I've concluded that to be just part of the game, and better to miss a few than spend a lot of time & effort snagged. I end up cutting the mono guards off if the fly lasts that long.

They are a little different from a paddle tail. It's more of a disk on a thin tube as in the pictured frog.

Almost done my poppers. I made another toad but this ones a little smaller, made from a wine cork, a 1 3/8" articulated shank and an Aberdeen hook.

post-48414-0-31044800-1583031797_thumb.jpg

Sheesh. How you make perfect spots with alternating colors? Amazing. Love to see you in action. Stuff like that cant be described.

Very nice poop deck.

I especially like those synthetic corks as they are soft enough to shape, are durable and float well.

Stmflies nice work, you are a master spin doctor.

They are a little different from a paddle tail. It's more of a disk on a thin tube as in the pictured frog.

Almost done my poppers. I made another toad but this ones a little smaller, made from a wine cork, a 1 3/8" articulated shank and an Aberdeen hook.

attachicon.gif toad4.jpg

I really like this style of popper, with the body tied on a shank and the hook trailing, inverted, behind. I like that the tails would "swim", plus it seems like a possible solution to the weed guard problem mentioned in earlier posts, maybe...?

Truly inspirational deer hair work, stmflies!

x2! That is the good stuff right there! I tried to learn advanced-level hair stacking like that, but didn't have the patience for it. Beautiful work stmflies :)

fshng2, Neat looking bug. What's it made from?

It's been awhile since I made it.

Used a rotary cutter to make a strip from a flip flop.

Then folded it over the hook, Ca glued smaller piece in between for shape then applied final Ca glue.