Fly Tying
fshng2

Poppers, Sliders & Divers Show Us Your Patterns

Anyone remember these bug eyed twin tails?

I bought these along with others of the same type in the late 70's.

These were the only ones left that were not badly chewed.

The bottom one is not so lucky as it's missing one of it's tails and an eye.

5wjW6FJ.jpg

It doesn't take too much investment to make your own popper bodies and do it very efficiently as well. I make bits for a drill to cut out bodies out of brass cases for different calibers as well as several other types of tubing. My favorite big bass popper is a piece of 1/2" emt chucked up in my drill press. I shape them on a mini belt sander.

post-20375-0-83561400-1583709851_thumb.jpg

post-20375-0-89842500-1583709874_thumb.jpg

post-20375-0-62316300-1583709888_thumb.jpg

post-20375-0-13703100-1583709918_thumb.jpg

I posted a couple these earlier in the thread. Just finished up the last of the larger poppers and a couple of divers. So here's the whole batch.

post-309-0-73291100-1583712917_thumb.jpg

post-309-0-20416600-1583712881_thumb.jpg

Nice Philly. Whats the tail on the divers? Dragon tail. I believe I can figure out the divers lip. Great design with the foam to make a diver. Looks like you got the glitter dust going.

It doesn't take too much investment to make your own popper bodies and do it very efficiently as well. I make bits for a drill to cut out bodies out of brass cases for different calibers as well as several other types of tubing. My favorite big bass popper is a piece of 1/2" emt chucked up in my drill press. I shape them on a mini belt sander.

Great idea, using a hammer and punches here and many cylinders are distorted when I don’t hit them dead center. This looks very efficient, thanks for posting.

Might try on my cheapo drill press too

Fishng2, I see the 70's are alive and well. did you shape those mini poppers?

I shaped the bottom two but I found the cork already shaped on the top two at a flea market.

Nice Philly. Whats the tail on the divers? Dragon tail. I believe I can figure out the divers lip. Great design with the foam to make a diver. Looks like you got the glitter dust going.

I had some dragon tails lying around, and really didn't know what to do with them. Cut them in half and used the back part for the tails. I used the templates from the class I took. The hardest part is getting the hook eye through the foam to get it to sit right and not tear the foam. No glitter dust. I make my own "loco foam" The ones in the first picture are done with gold and mother of pearl foam. The poppers in the second picture are done with silver foam.

Another toad. This ones not a fly though. This is carved from a hunk of maple and is slightly tail weighted for the spinning rod.

toadtwo.jpg

3 hours ago, Poopdeck said:

Another toad. This ones not a fly though. This is carved from a hunk of maple and is slightly tail weighted for the spinning rod.

toadtwo.jpg

PD that,s a beauty, bet it has a nice wobble.

Should get the bass and snakeheads fired up.

What size hooks are you using?

On 2/19/2020 at 9:43 AM, flytire said:

black-1080-tile.jpg

Is there any type of fly you don't tie?  Amazing work as always.

yes there are a number of fly styles/types that i dont tie but if i put in the time, money and effort i guess anything might be possible 👍