Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Edward Snowden

Tube flys

I am getting interested in tube flys. I have watched videos on You Tube, but I was wondering if there are other sources for info? Also, materials. I looked at Bearsden and almost everything was out of stock. Is everyone just using craft store materials instead of specialized stuff? Or is it that popular that they can't keep it in stock? Finally, does anyone use tube flys for trout, particularly topwater? If so, what patterns, or other details you don't mind sharing. I am aware of buggers and streamers. Thanks for your help. This looks very interesting.

Flytire, If I may ask, since you are a prolific tyer; what is it about tube flies that doesn't engage you? With the exception of the tubes, it seems almost all regular materials can be used with tube flies. Do you think they are less effective and not worth the time? Do you prefer a more traditional approach to your flies? I am not trying to pry, or badger you, but I am curious why tube flies are not talked about more. I will add, I have never seen anyone fish with them. But, it seems there is a pretty dedicated following, though I do not know how big that group is. I would be happy to hear any opinions form any member about tube flies.

I still have the materials. I tied a few poppers and sliders for warm water and streamers for salt water as tube flies. Might still have a couple stored somewhere with my unused flies. The only tube fly I fished a bit, and there would be a question as to whether it is a tube fly would be "Bob's Banger". Basically a foam cylinder with a hole down the center made with a hot needle. Once I got the materials for tying tube flies, I started using the tube material to make Bangers. Bluefish love them and destroy them quickly. It turned out to be a short lived passion. I think the hardest part was trying to tie flies in the round especially nymphs. I can see the advantage of not using an 4 or 6XL hook in fighting a fish, less leverage for the fish, especially one that jumps a lot. I just don't see a lot of discussion about them on more trout oriented boards. They're probably more popular in Europe than in the States.

other than shelling out more money for tube fly supplies, tying tube flies just dont appeal to me.

nothing more than that

i tie a lot of steelhead flies that i'll never use here in connecticut but i just really like tying them. same thing for hairwing atlantic salmon flies

maybe i'll eventually sell them to someone who would have the opportunity to fish them

Just an opinion ... but the benefits I see to tube flies is the free swinging hook.

It's a known fact that "leverage" work against the angler, in letting the fish shake a lure during the fight. Larger, longer flies have that leverage working the hook out.

Tube flies ride up the line, and only the hook is left in the fish's mouth. This greatly reduces the leverage against the hook point, helping it to stay in place until the fish is landed.

A lot of large salt-water trolling lures are built like tube flies, with the line attached to the hook, not the lure. But I am not sure if leverage is the reason. Another benefit would be the ability to have a few inches of wire connecting the hook to the line. The wire could be as long as the lure/fly without really affecting the action of said lure/fly. Once the fly rides up the line, there's still a wire bite guard keeping toothy critters from cutting free.

I don't tie them, so the above observation are just speculations on why some people like tube flies.

You hit it on the nail, Mike. Off shore/in shore trolling lures are the original tube flies. Have a whole box of them that I no longer use. Plan to give them to a friend who brought a 36 foot Black Fin last summer. As I said the only advantage I can see is the reduced leverage in fighting a jumping fish. I don't use wire that much when fishing for toothy critters so I don't benefit from that.

I bought an early hmh kit and acquired a ton of tube materials. Never really got into fishing with them, it was yet another wasted investment on my part.

683D5081-FDE2-492E-8E13-D02990F2869A.jpegLarge Flip Flop Articulated Convertible Pike Popper.

Tubes have certain uses and two advantages: cheapness and cheapness. You can begin tying on tubes for the price of a used q-tip and large- needle clamped.

Tube fly components: My recollection is there are 2-3 distributors to USA, and each has some reliable information on building and fishing.

Additionally, Having fairly extensive practice on Nor Vise, J-Vice, and HMH tube products, you may want to test drive the inexpensive workarounds first, but each of the named brands, indeed, craft fine tools when you “...like using the right tools for the job...” Also, I can assure you that trout may be caught on tubes, upon which popper bodies of any style are easily attached, and a host of other patterns, sub-surface as meaty as dredgers and big sculpins...

I am a traditionalist. I feel like a fly should have a hook in it. Think on how many times you see a fly displayed without a hook in it (They just look better with hooks). Similarly, in my mind, a fly rod should have a cork handle and a rifle should be blue with a wooden stock. I own stainless, synthetic rifles and they are fine, dependable firearms but they are not classic.

I'll give you the leverage thing, a little, tiny bit. Leverage is a considerable thing while fishing with big heavy lures, not so much with flies. Maybe it's a bigger consideration on longer, barbless flies, less with barbed and short patterns.

In another thread we're talking about the best way to dry a used fly before it goes back into the fly box. Damp flies don't only rust hooks (when you have hooks), they also rot and mold feathers and other materials, so how would you dry a hookless fly before putting it away.

I keep wondering what problem you (not you personally) are trying to solve with the tubes. I don't see the advantage.

On a side note, I fell into about 40 pounds of fly tubes and other supplies (literally 40 pounds) in assorted colors and lengths that I'd be willing to trade for just about anything fly or fishing related if anybody's interested in part or all of it. (I really know how to see them, don't I?)

There's more than one way to achieve a long fly with a short shanked hook. It doesn't have to be a tube. Multiple companies these days make fly tying shanks, or you can bend your own, or buy cheap hooks and cut them up. You have a long shank, or series of shanks, with a short-shanked hook as your lone hook. You still get a longer fly, you still have a hook with better holding power.

I, personally, just don't like tube fly components. I've tied a few tube flies, it's not something I stuck with.

I'll give you the leverage thing, a little, tiny bit. Leverage is a considerable thing while fishing with big heavy lures, not so much with flies. Maybe it's a bigger consideration on longer, barbless flies, less with barbed and short patterns.

I think you might be misunderstanding the tube fly size. wink.png Or I am. dry.png

My observation of fly tying videos and pictures of tube flies is that they ARE big, heavy lures ... when compared to other flies. They might not be the massively heavy wooden plugs you'd throw with a bait caster, but they're heavier than most other styles of flies.

Thus, the free hook design of tube flies becomes more than just "... a little, tiny bit."

biggrin.png

I think you might be misunderstanding the tube fly size. wink.png Or I am. dry.png

My observation of fly tying videos and pictures of tube flies is that they ARE big, heavy lures ... when compared to other flies. They might not be the massively heavy wooden plugs you'd throw with a bait caster, but they're heavier than most other styles of flies.

Thus, the free hook design of tube flies becomes more than just "... a little, tiny bit."

biggrin.png

They can be quite small, I have tubes, and tube flies from a half inch long to six inches long and they are very light. Much lighter than anything that I think would flip out of a fishes mouth from inertia. It's possible but in my opinion, not very probable.

Leverage generated from tension on the line and a longer shaft is entirely another thing. To me its quite possible to lose a fish, if a fish turned the right way, especially on barbless hooks. Regardless, articulated or jointed shafts on flies with hooks would solve those problems.