Fly Tying
DarrellP

Magnifier recommendation

Sure do. I don't remember the brand but mine are just a cheap Bobo brand I picked up maybe 10 years ago for around 5 bucks. Works great and I can't go fishing without them.

I like click-it readers, they are more expensive. I like the ease of use as I can swap them out with my sunglasses quickly to tie on fly or repair tippet. They are always around my neck, no fumbling around to find them.

Mike.

If you want good magnifiers, go to one of those cheap eyeglass places and get a pair of single vision glasses. Have the optician give you a prescription for glasses that are correct for working close (12-15 inches). Yes, they cost more than what you will pay at the drug store. BUT, and this is a big but - they will be correct for your eyes. Two things to consider that a prescription will take care that regular reading glasses can't. First, with a prescription you will probably find that one eye requires a different diopter than the other. Secondly, the glasses will be made so they are the correct inter pupillary distance. This measurement is important. When you use binoculars and spread them apart, or close them together to get a complete circular field of vision, you have adjusted them correctly for your inter pupillary distance. Also, they will probably have a lens that has a higher optical grade plastic with fewer distortions. Real glasses will give better results and far less fatiguing.

If you go with the hat or sunglasses clip on magnifiers most of them have resin lenses. Bug spray will damage them (permanent speckles) so be sure to put them in a pocket while applying spray.

We both use an assortment of reading glasses with different power ratings. EX: Gretchen ties with 5 power and Al ties with 3 power. Both of us also have a set of 2 power glasses on a lanyard around our necks. When we need a quick increase in power, we just put a second set of glasses on our noses over the ones already there. The extra glasses are real handy for checking a fly head to be sure there is no unwanted "waste material" showing. Take care & ...