Fly Tying

Coronavirus?

With 8.3 billion dollars now up for grabs the information provided by various cited sources is now tainted. The CDC is getting over 2 billion in emergency funds. No doubt John Hopkins will be in the picture for the billions earmarked for research. The money grab will go to those who ring the bell the loudest. Those who don't spread panic and alarm will get none and most will be silenced and belittled for offering any opinions not beneficial to those who grab the most. Theres no chance any of the benifiting companies, agencies, or departments are going to come out saying it's just a different type of simple flu. However, there is a chance it's a serious a public health matter. We just won't ever really know thanks to the power of money and politics.

Just talked to my medical Doctor after getting a spot on my back hit with liquid nitrogen again.

The virus is hitting older people with health problems more. Kids with the virus is like getting a cold.

Rick

Hey JS! 

Yeah, if you're into understatements ... "things have changed" falls into that category.  Corona-phobia ensues!

Alaska only has 9 cases so far. No matter how scared you get Mike, you still can't come here.😋

Now I'm going to get a little sappy. I just lost my little brother to Alcoholism. I hope all of you stay safe, it would be sad to hear of losing any of you to this.

I'm no alarmist, and this thing is sure hyped up a lot, but it will kill some people and we have quite a few older folks here on this forum. Do what you have to do to stay safe.

Sorry for your loss, Mark. 

I have had two relatives pass away in the past week, one just last night, and we cannot hold wakes or funerals because of the Wuhan Flu restrictions.  It's frustrating, as gathering with friends and family is what gets us through these hard times.  

36 minutes ago, niveker said:

I have had two relatives pass away in the past week, one just last night, and we cannot hold wakes or funerals because of the Wuhan Flu restrictions.  It's frustrating, as gathering with friends and family is what gets us through these hard times.  

Wow, me too for you.

1 hour ago, niveker said:

I can relate.  After about a year and a half I am finally ready to have a gathering in honor of my wife.  It was supposed to be the weekend after Easter.  Had to make a bunch of phone calls to cancel because of all of this.  It's the right thing to do for so many reasons not the least of which is that my wife would be horrified if people were to be endangered because of her in any way.  It still sucks.  I have nothing to tell people as to when it will happen now.  Sorry you have to deal with the same kind of thing.  I've at least have some distance from her passing, it's still fresh for you and yours.  Best wishes.

Swamp

Condolences to you guys.  I can't imagine going through a loss during "social distancing."  I hope you find solace.

I work animal ER although I don't have a TV show.  We have a lot of vets sending stuff to us because they don't want to expose themselves to the virus (people).  We are wearing gloves and masks,and keeping clients outside while we treat their patients.   Awkward.  We have some Vietnam Nam Suplus masks that we can re-autoclave (sterilize).

I manage the place with over 40 employees.   I feel a good deal of responsibility,  as I don't want anyone to get sick because I didn't do my part as leager of the group.  We have outgrown our facility and work in very close proximity.  One person has to hold the pet while another takes samples, medicates, etc.  If one of gets it, we are all going to be exposed.

If you read the statistics, 1 person ies for every 10 recoveries. I don't know how "recoveries " are counted, but that ratio has been consistent. This is not you Dad's flu, but hopefully not your Grandpa's flu either. 

Our newspeople need to just report the facts and quit sensationalizing and quit focusing on any mistakes or misspoken statements.  Most of them are just plain damned ignorant.  Most people are doing their best, given their information and resources.

I am believe that we will ALL be exposed, eventually.  My hope is that a lot of people have mild cases and are not being counted in the statistics,  just as happens with influenza each year

Back in the 70s,  we had a pandemic in dogs called Parvo virus.  It killed 1/3 of the dogs in the US. There are still plenty of stray dogs around.  So there is hope for you strays like Mark, Mike, Flat Rock Native, Poopdeck. etc. By the way, Parvo turned out to be caused by a lab trying to make a vaccine for cats.  I seriously think Covid was a laboratory leak.

Stay safe guys.  Many of you are in the worst cohort for the disease:  male, over 65, with underlying issues.  This rant was sponsored by no one.

I agree that you all need to stay safe.  Take your vitamins, drink plenty of fluids.  Even if you get it, it IS recoverable.   Being healthier NOW will help you make it through, if you get it.

Just a note to all.  As you know, we try very hard to keep this site free of "conflict".  As long as this thread just deals with facts and well wishes, we will leave it open.  If this, or any other thread, leans into arguments about politics or religion, we will close or delete them.  There are other sites that allow those discussions.

Please feel free to PM me if you have concerns about any thread we seem to have missed.

I can't imagine the pressure you are under being responsible for your employees and to a lesser extent the pet owners.  My folks adopted an older semi-stray mini pincher last summer, the family didn't want her any more.  While the dog was not physically abused per se, she was neglected, badly over weight, bad teeth to the point of a fractured jaw etc. Needless to say the dog goes to the vet a lot.  The dog had done something to her back or hips and was in pain so she needed to go in last week.  The vet has taken a novel approach to the situation, owners have to stay in their vehicles and the staff comes out and take the animals inside to be treated or just treat the animal outside.  It is essentially a drive through vet now.  Obviously not something you are in a position to do since your patients are much worse off than the average veterinary office "emergency".  People are coming up with unique ways of coping.

While I am not in your area, I still want to thank you for what you are doing especially since there is a risk to you and your staff.  Your job must be challenging enough under the best of circumstances given the nature of an emergency clinic.  We love our pets, yes even the "foul retched creature" who laying is currently at my feet trying to look cute enough for me to want to rub his belly.  I call him that on a regular basis so he doesn't get too proud of himself, I also tell him to go play in traffic but he summarily ignores me.  He is also known as Snorri my shelter rescued Norwegian Forest Cat. I don't want to thingk about a situation where he needed urgent care and none was available, so again thank you.

Swamp