Fly Tying

Coronavirus?

23 hours ago, Mark Knapp said:

Now I'm going to get a little sappy. I just lost my little brother to Alcoholism. I hope all of you stay safe, it would be sad to hear of losing any of you to this.

Sorry to hear that Mark. Alcoholism is tough on the entire family, from the alcoholic himself to all those that love and care for him, yet can't do anything to help, because ultimately the choice to change/get help is entirely on the alcoholic himself. So that makes things ever harder for the family such as yourself. I know all this too well because I myself am a recovering alcoholic. Have been for many years now. My problem was a bad one and by all rights I probably should not even be alive today, but I was very lucky a number of times and finally decided I could either let it be what ended my life, or I could do something to fight to change my life. I choose the later and very glad I did. I wish your Brother would have realized life can be so much better without the haze of alcohol causing you to make bad choices, but sadly most people that have this problem are unable to get over it. My condolences to you & your family on his passing.

Swamp-  It's good to see you around. Really sucks that now that you're ready to get family together to deal with the loss of your wife that all this is happening and making that impossible. Hopefully that changes soon in the next few weeks though and you guys will be able to get together to help each other heal.

In Europe it is really turning nasty and it isn't just the direct covid deaths but the people dying who can't get a bed due them all being full and having a queue of people waiting for them.

I kinda understand what trump is trying with the cure not being worse than the disease line but with no national health system in the US we (medical folk) are really worried for you guys and the potential over the next 3months in the US

42 minutes ago, Piker20 said:

I kinda understand what trump is trying with the cure not being worse than the disease line but with no national health system in the US we (medical folk) are really worried for you guys and the potential over the next 3months in the US

It's definitely something that should be taken seriously, and proper precautions used, but with that said, the numbers simply don't support the action to close the country and destroy the ability to provide for family and people's livelihood, so I understand the need to at least get some people back to work. At the moment the fatality rate  here is bouncing between 1.2% to 1.3%. And truth be told as many medical professionals are finally starting to admit. That number is going to drop a great deal over the next few weeks as more and more people are tested and found to have it without even knowing it, because right now it's just the people showing signs or at risk that are being tested. And is mainly older people with existing underlying medical conditions which is the same group that is affected and at risk to any illness/virus. So we simply need to make sure that we try our best to protect that very small group that is at risk which is our older and more medically frail group of people, but not do it in a way that will destroy the way of life and ability to pay our bills and feed our families for the other 99% of people. So hopefully when they start things back up they also say "this is our plan to protect our elderly".

Agree Steve. Although even the most optimistic estimates at the 'undiagnosed well' has the death rate a little closer to 3%.  So in a population of millions its not 'lots' but its enough 

I'm looking at the death rate for the US. It is currently 1.2%-1.3% here as data from W.H.O states. It is different in other countries, but due to many factors such as average age (such as Italy avg age is 15yrs higher than US) the capacity and readiness of the  health care system, and other such factors, our statistics are currently different than others countries.

And I hope it remains like that Steve although the time to the first 100k cases was something like a month, next 100k 15 days and 3rd 100k 4 days. 

The US could be a disaster if people can freely mix and it's not reigned in. 

57 minutes ago, Piker20 said:

And I hope it remains like that Steve although the time to the first 100k cases was something like a month, next 100k 15 days and 3rd 100k 4 days. 

The US could be a disaster if people can freely mix and it's not reigned in. 

True and I agree, but no one is suggesting people go back to intermixing closely with this though. They are simply saying that we need to let those that are very low risk and healthy, go back to work as needed. They also said it would be in areas of the country and not just a "all clear" type thing. They are also saying the social distancing will still be in effect even once some areas are allowed to go to work.

I live in one of the 5 PA counties our governor has shut down. We have no shortages of anything other then TP but I'm well stocked so it has no effect on me.  Other then this small issue I have not witnessed any horrors, panic or people acting inappropropriatley or out of line. There  is still peace and tranquiltiy in my area despite the direness expressed in the news 24/7  which I haven't watched in over a decade. 

I agree with protecting those who are in the high risk group but the higher numbers are nothing more then more tests being done to people who otherwise would have gone about their daily routine. I don't understand the continued escalation of the lock down based on numbers everybody knew they would get with additional testing.  If locking down 5 counties will help then locking down the entire state will be better. Seems to me they don't really need to lock down anybody but they are just so they can tout how they are saving everybody. I hope this is just cynicism on my part. 

I went to the hospital to get stitches on Friday. I went to the ER because my family doctor was not seeing patients because they did not have COVID19 protection gear. I was shocked to find I was the only person in the ER. At a hospital that is normally busting at the seams, It was a ghost town. I was in, registered, triaged, stitched up and out the door in less then an hour. Again, nobody is dying curbside because there are no beds. I live in a high density county in PA where the virus count is tripling everyday and there is nobody in the hospital looking for a ventilator. I think all but one or two of the hundreds of confirmed cases are resting at home or in an old age care Facility.  

I wish we would stop comparing our healthcare and living standards to what's going on in some Europian countries. Our healthcare system is vastly better. Our standards of cleanliness is vastly better. Our standards of social distancing is, by and large, vastly better, our infrastructure and supply chains are vastly better because of our vastly better brand of capitalism and free market enterprise. We will come through this better then any other nation out there. In short order we will have all the TP we all will ever use. There simply is no comparable in the world to the USA and once again we will rise through the ash and rescue the world. God bless the USA. 

Sorry for the rant. Lockdown is driving me insane. 

I heard the same thing about hospital being a ghost town from my Aunt over the weekend down in Ga. She had a 4 hr long procedure on Friday morning to have her heart rhythm fixed (can't think of what they called it) Anyway she was let go back home Saturday and I asked her how it went, she's doing well :)  but she said the weirdest thing was she expected to see a lot of people at the hospital because of how they are saying hospitals will be flooded etc etc, but was shocked that it was so empty.

Massachusetts is shut down except for "essentials" department, grocery, pharmacy and yes liquor stores.   With no community activities being allowed the spread of the virus has got to slow, hopefully dying out with the warm weather- we'll see.    I'm concerned about the damage being done to the economy because we all need income to survive.

Orange County (Orlando) just declared a shelter in place order.  It goes into effect Thursday night at 11:00 PM.

I live in Volusia County and work in Orange County.  I don't know if I'll be a law breaker or not!