Fly Tying

Coronavirus?

1 hour ago, DFoster said:

Massachusetts is shut down except for "essentials" department, grocery, pharmacy and yes liquor stores.   With no community activities being allowed the spread of the virus has got to slow, hopefully dying out with the warm weather- we'll see.    I'm concerned about the damage being done to the economy because we all need income to survive.

Maybe open liquor store is a good thing.  DIY hand sanitizer -60% alco-  can be hacked into defense agent.  Guessing Everclear or Watermelon Vodka would beat bourbon families on the personal aroma scale but then wtf... am I kidding, my studio is devoid of others.... and I like it... Back to the cave...

EEB6D38D-C1B2-4B94-AEE5-ACA330235B49.png

1D7E7492-EF5E-4E1F-A747-DCFDD5DDD76C.jpeg

161D7C8D-6927-4938-8935-8CE6A6A778CE.jpeg

21 hours ago, Steeldrifter said:

At the moment the fatality rate  here is bouncing between 1.2% to 1.3%.

True, but the number of people who require hospitalization is around 15%.  If we overwhelm the hospital system, not only is the mortality rate going to up, but there will be collateral damage as well -- people who require hospitalization for other reasons and aren't going to get it.

Just wondered where you are getting 15% from redietz? Not trying to argue or anything like that so don't think that ;) but just wondered where you saw 15%. Because they said that only serious/critical cases are actually hospitalized and per the WHO site it currently says only 4% are in serious condition and 96% are mild https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

So far, the American hospital system is underwhelmed.  They're actually getting people admitted or seen to in minutes, because there's almost no one going into the Emergency Rooms.

Kind of makes you wonder something else. Far as emergency rooms go. Anytime I or family have had to go to emergency, it's always about a 4-6 hr wait (sometimes even longer) during "normal" times of life. So how is it that the emergency rooms are so empty right now? Is it that people abuse the emergency room/system during normal times and go to ER when they really shouldn't be? Or because factory/shop work for some is not working right now so less on the job injuries? both? or?

4 hours ago, Steeldrifter said:

Just wondered where you are getting 15% from redietz? Not trying to argue or anything like that so don't think that ;) but just wondered where you saw 15%. Because they said that only serious/critical cases are actually hospitalized and per the WHO site it currently says only 4% are in serious condition and 96% are mild https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

It's what Cuomo said in today's speech and re-iterated with a chart. (Not sure why I watched since I don't live in NY.)  He said the number was higher than expected.

Of course, that number only reflects those that were actually tested, so it might be lower.

Gott'cha. I was just wondering because I had not heard that number. NY sounds like a real hot mess right now from the looks of it. I guess they now have 50% or more of the cases in the country coming from NY.

From Montana Fish and Wildlife, The term "Fishtancing".

By my reckoning fly fishers are 150% safer with a 9' fly rod than a 6' spin rod. 

I just deleted two posts due to the sensitive nature of our members and the inability of most people to calmly discuss political views or office holders.

Please keep names and political parties out of the posts.

The next week to 10 days should be interesting. Mainly because all the statistics that they have been giving are actually not solid factual stats yet since the actual denominator is not truly known, because the numbers themselves are based on just those being tested. And the only ones being tested at the moment are the ones that are showing signs/symptoms, or have traveled out of the country recently. But two things that will make the next 10 days interesting are, they are now going to be able to test upwards of 75,000 per day. Which should open testing up to more of the population and not just those that are showing signs. And doctors in the UK just posted findings that they are working to do antibody testing, which would show who actually had and recovered without even knowing it. Which they are speculating could be as much as 50-60% of the population. Which if that's the case the actual mortality rate would fall to a level in line with influenza. So as weird as it sounds to say this, lets hope they are right and a larger number of people come back as already being/ have been infected, because that would drastically lower the actual mortality rate if that were the case. 

7 hours ago, mikechell said:

I just deleted two posts due to the sensitive nature of our members and the inability of most people to calmly discuss political views or office holders.

Please keep names and political parties out of the posts.

F.O.S....F.O.S.... Freedom Of Speech....Freedom Of Speech. Just kidding, you're doing a great job moderating.

52 minutes ago, Flat Rock native said:

Hard to keep it light but this is where I am at on food service options...

60034797-2A45-4295-8639-65C9D4EBE22D.jpeg

Me too.