Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
petelangevin

Anyone have a universal #1 rotary vise?

Saw a guy on YouTube who restores them, would love to add one to my collection, none on the auction site. Whats the going rate for one now?

I was the purchaser of one of the eBay auctions. Ive made it workable. The method of tightening the jaws could use a lot of improvement but all in all its not bad. I will use it for flies that could use this type of vise. Cheaply made, but ok.

We have a couple of #1 vises but not interested in selling them. Good luck with your search. Take care & ...

I have a norvise as my primary but would love the old school original rotary.

Thanks to all who replied, my search will keep going.

I've been looking for any of the old, rotary type Universal Vise Corp vises for a while.  One popped up on Craigslist this morning and I was able to pick it up after work, plus a few things that came with.  Sounds goofy, but I love those old bobbin holders, they fit nicely in my paws.     

Vise is in pretty good shape, a few small rust spots on the jaw's shank.  Rotates smoothly and all screws hold well.  

IMG-20210113-172024.jpg

37 minutes ago, niveker said:

bobbin holders,

Are they marked ? look like S&M bobbins they are still my favorite. probably favored from hanging around their fly shop. The vise is a good find it was the first rotary I ever saw a friend had one and he could spin a body nicely.

1 hour ago, cphubert said:

Are they marked ?

No engraving on them, unfotunately, cp.  Only by holding these and my other ones side by side can you barely notice a different in cut/shape of the sheet metal.  

On 3/7/2020 at 11:11 AM, petelangevin said:

Saw a guy on YouTube who restores them, would love to add one to my collection, none on the auction site. Whats the going rate for one now?

One just came up on eBay.  Link below. That's how I got my Universal #1 and #2 a few years ago. I don't tie true rotary very often but I do bust it out if I'm tying a larger or longer fly with carded materials. I think the #1 is a fine vise, highly recommended. I'm not as enthusiastic about the Universal #2.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Unique-Vintage-Fly-Tying-Bench-Vise-Fly-Fishing-Fishing-Tool/133637729315?hash=item1f1d6dec23:g:J1UAAOSwnDxgAJW-