Fly Tying
The Mad Duck

#&^%^&%#%$#%$ Superglue

So today, I'm tying some gurglers out of sheet foam. My process is to tie them,add the legs and hackle and move to the next fly. After I have tied a dozen, I superglue them and then add some eyes. I got my dozen tied and set the first fly to be finished in the vice. I pick up the superglue bottle and the whole bottom falls out of the bottle,putting superglue all over my fly bench,my hands and about $30 worth of sili legs,sheet foam,crystal flash and hackle material. I have spent the last 45 minutes trying to clean up this mess and removing this crap from my hands. I think I'm done for today.

I hope I dont need to be fingerprinted for anything for the next few days!!

Wow, I've never had that happen. What a mess. I have had bottles of accelerator come apart on several occasions though.

OOF! That must suck. One time some head cement busted open and destroyed about 20 dollars worth of marabou. Also, getting super glue on your hands sucks. Been there, done that, don't want to do it again.

I've been there Duck. I ruined the finished wood top of a really nice tying desk when I knocked over an open bottle of head cement. A few days later ruined a brand new pair of Levis and almost the carpet in our office courtesy of a bottle of super glue. I'm generally not a clumsy person but it's like working with explosives in that you only get one mistake. Lesson learned- since then Overton's Wonder Wax is the only stuff I add to my flies, I even use it as an alternative to head cement. I usually loose the fly to a tree or a submerged hazard long before durability becomes an issue.

I know there are a whole group of proven fish takers that require super glue but I choose to stick to the flies that don't need it.

In all fairness to Gorilla Glue brand. I have used hundreds of bottles of all different glues over the years and this is the first one that ever had an issue. I would tend to blame the bottle maker and not Gorilla Glue. The glue did exactly what it was supposed to do...Stick to EVERYTHING

My condolences for your ruined stuff. I've spilled a little polish or cement over the years, but never a whole bottle. Never heard of one coming apart like that. Was the bottom stuck to the desk from previously spilled glue?

Forgive me, if you hear laughing in the background. It's my alter ego, glad it was you and not me him.

Been there and the reason I keep a large container of acetone nearby.

Good luck to you.

Kimo

A few tidbits to remember... Years ago we all worried that plastic stuff in our environment was a forever deal - but that's not so today at all. Someone figured out that by adding talcum to the materials used to form various different kinds of plastic you actually make plastics with an "expiration date". In short all those plastic containers that stuff we use come in will actually begin to deteriorate after a certain number of years if the maker desires....

The trouble that I've had with super glues happened when I used to buy it by the carton (10 tubes at a time) since I was using it for production tying. The last three or four tubes would kick off in the packaging if I didn't use them quickly enough... so I went back to buying only one or two tubes at a time.

Lastly you can kill super glue dead before it dries by sticking your fingers in water if needed.
That's why I keep a tiny bowl of water on my tying bench when Im working with super glue... Unfortunately although you've killed the gluing effect with water -it will leave a white residue behind...

Hope this helps...

My condolences for your ruined stuff. I've spilled a little polish or cement over the years, but never a whole bottle. Never heard of one coming apart like that. Was the bottom stuck to the desk from previously spilled glue?

Forgive me, if you hear laughing in the background. It's my alter ego, glad it was you and not me him.

There wasn't any spilled glue on my bench. I'm pretty fastidious when dealing with superglue. I always make sure any extra drops are cleaned up and ALWAYS check the lid. I dont know what happened, but when I picked it up, it just started pouring out of the bottom, all over a nice brown/ginger hackle, 3-4 sheets of foam, a brand new hank of sili legs, a brand new hank of crystal flash. I was able to salvage some of the foam, a bit of the hackle, none of the legs or flash. I also have one of those alter egos, his name is Skippy

There wasn't any spilled glue on my bench. I'm pretty fastidious when dealing with superglue. I always make sure any extra drops are cleaned up and ALWAYS check the lid. I dont know what happened, but when I picked it up, it just started pouring out of the bottom, all over a nice brown/ginger hackle, 3-4 sheets of foam, a brand new hank of sili legs, a brand new hank of crystal flash. I was able to salvage some of the foam, a bit of the hackle, none of the legs or flash. I also have one of those alter egos, his name is Skippy

Have Skippy contact Gorrilla Glue to see if they will reimburse you for their product defects. Maybe they will send you some free stuff or coupons or something. But do not go for a 10-pack of CA in view of Capt. Bob’s experince. Just sayin’...

I have a different complaint about CA, though I too have had my careless problems with it and cement. I have to admit I'm great at knocking things over and off the bench reaching for something else so I try to always close all containers after use before doing anything else. Here's my problem. I like CA with a brush. The only two I've found are Gorilla and Krazy Glue. Gorilla glue has gone hard and stick before I'm done with half a bottle on me twice now. Krazy Glue has been the same problem and recently I've gotten a couple of plastic bottles of it that were bad from the start. I want the blue to be liquid when I use it and the Krazy Glue becomes gummy and sticky way too quickly. I have to lift the brush a foot in the air to get the string of following glue to break off and when it gets to that point it becomes unusable quickly. Anybody found a brush CA that doesn't do that?