Fly Tying
Poopdeck

Prison flies

So I have been ordered to work remotely from home and to have no contact with the public unless it's a matter of life or death. Problem is my job is more of public interaction then sitting in an office. My local creek, in a state park, has been closed, my boat is in the shop and I've been working from home for three days now. I feel like I'm in jail, or at least what I think it would be like in jail. So today a tied some spiders. Tomorrow I don't know what I'll tie but hopefully I'll think if something. Maybe I'll modify my back up anchor. I just don't know. 

spider.jpg

Although my primary fishing area, Everglades National Park has closed all of its facilities... The gates are still open and they’re allowing permitted guides to use the ramps down at Flamingo so that’s where I was with anglers yesterday and where we’ll be today... Now if I can just get all the big tarpon we found yesterday to actually bite our flies.  I went home yesterday talking to myself.

Unfortunately, MY company has decided that, although the students are home ... we have to come in and work.  Unlike the "prisoner" above, I've got about 200 things I could be doing at the house.  I was looking forward to some "work-from-home" time.😟

It's called a Stewart's spider. It's just any color thread and a starling feather.  Black green and yellow thread are my favorites. This and a hares ear is 95% of my trout fishing gear. Simple quick and effective.

Mike, I got two hundred things to do to but I'm set up remotely so they see what I'm doing or not doing. I'm in big brother prison which might just be worse then prison. 

Capt. Bob, I hate when the fish ruin my plans and my hopes. Our shad run starts NOW through May it's a big part of my spring fishing. The state also moved the trout opener from 3/28 to 4/18. The trout opener initially keeps a lot of people away from the shad run. Now with the later trout start date pushing people to shad fish earlier then they normally would and the closing of ramps, I'm afraid there will be no parking at the remaining opened ramps. 

Oh well at least I have my health and plenty of toilet paper. 

Feeling your pain Poopdeck. I too am working at home, by order of the Governor (I'm a state employee). I am allowed to leave the house, thank goodness -- I would really be brewing up a batch of stir-crazy if I couldn't. Here's hoping this doesn't last too terribly long. Nice spider btw -- I know some trout that would eat that. :)

An update to my last post..

yesterday the tarpon finally started biting our flies... We were in a small river when my angler hooked up with a really hot 60lb fish on a 10wt rod.  My angler finally fought it to a standstill, almost one hundred yards downriver just having a ball until the handle on my reel snapped off and he was forced to try and turn the spool by hand (you can guess how that turned out)...

Fortunately the next fish (on a different rod) came to hand not long afterwards. 

Just nothing like the ‘glades

Nice Capt Bob! Catching fish that snap reel handles can't be that bad.

Thanks for the invite Pick but one of my many failings are commitments outside of family, friends and career. 

In addition, today during my prison sentence I ran out to pick up wood from the mill man to build my wife a set of closet doors. Our governor closed all non-essential business so the mill milled my job last night but I had to pick it up by noon. It wasn't suppose to be ready for two weeks so I jumped on it. After picking up the wood I went to buy a sheet of plywood to make a jig. As I was carrying the plywood it slipped through my hand and cut the web between my right thumb and index finger like a slow dull saw blade. Ended up going to hospital to get 12 stitches. There goes my plan to build the doors as part of my rehabilitation. By the way the Governors order also means the boat yard is closed so my boat won't be ready next week and I'm hoping to get it by May now.  It's not enough to close the shop to the public, all non-essential businesses are not even allowed on their own premise locked in a back room or shop. 

I managed to tie some more spiders which is about all my stitches can handle at the moment.

spider1.jpg

spider2.jpg

I "officially" retired this year, and about 2 years ago started a fly & tackle business from home, so my work doesn't require me to leave anyway. We're not supposed to travel around here unless necessary, but for the most part, things are still pretty normal here. Most businesses in town are closed, but they did that anyway on the weekends. 

My wife rode into town this morning to get gas, and she said there was more folks out than she thought there would be, and she also said there was a lot of vehicles in the parking lot at the boat ramp when she went past there, which again is normal for a Saturday and especially with the warmer weather. 

We had not had any cases of this virus in my county, but yesterday one was reported as was one death, but no other details, so not sure exactly what that means for us. 

I went fishing for several hours on Monday, tossing shad darts in the river to see if I could find a few shad, but only caught one small Striper. So, at least that was something positive. I saw the game warden ride thru, but he didn't stop. 

I spent the rest of the week, trying to get my garage better organized, since that's where I work much of the time, pouring & painting jigs and took care of other household chores. I had planned to drive a truck one more year part time, but things changed with the job I had that I wasn't happy with, and so I decided to call it quits. I'm really glad I did with all this virus stuff going on, as I wouldn't have been working anyway, and with traveling around, the potential for me to possibly be exposed would have been much higher, so looks like I made the correct call.  

Congrats on your retirement! I retired last year as well but ended up taking another job to work for a friend. Wasn't my plan to work again but I got to say working for my friend has been nothing short of complete joy so far. Being couped up in my house has made me believe I wasn't  mentally ready to retire so it's worked out for me. Sure wish my boat wasn't in COVID19 lockdown and I'm beginning to worry it won't be pardoned till June. 

Thank you sir! I had planned on working the rest of my life in one way or another. I had my sights on starting this business, because it's something that I enjoy doing. I haven't given up my CDL license, just in case, but don't plan on going back to driving.

So far, I haven't made my first million yet, but have been staying busy, either with making tackle, or just trying to keep up with usual household chores. There's always something that needs to be done.

We're in a situation here that nonessential travel is supposed to be restricted, but folks are still getting out on the lake & fishing, or whatever else they enjoy. It's as normal here as it can be.

That's one of the nice things about living in a rural area, in the south, near a lake. Since we moved here, we've had a few hurricanes and one tornado pass thru, so this virus is not getting anyone too worked up. 

I'm waiting right now for a guy to meet here at the shop to go ice fishing. He's 20 minutes late. I might have to self quarantine in the fish house all by myself today.

1 hour ago, Mark Knapp said:

I might have to self quarantine in the fish house all by myself today.

Sound's like torture, LOL.  

Me and my jar of sanitizer can be there in 14 hours. Oh wait the airport is in lockdown. Dang it! Is my boat done yet.