Fly Tying
KevinD62

Stimulating the economy

Two questions, DarrellP, what does Tylenol have to do with anything?  Where is this advice coming from, especially when we know how toxic Tylenol can be?  Poopdeck, you said, "Come the end of the month they better not extend this craziness."  What if they do?  What is your plan of recourse?

We are stationed in Japan and so I have to buy everything online.  I can say that Amazon is not on my list of tying tools or material.  Mad River, Stone River, Slide Inn,  J Stockard and Tactical Fly are getting all my business, and have been since Jan.

3 hours ago, Edward Snowden said:

Two questions, DarrellP, what does Tylenol have to do with anything?  Where is this advice coming from, especially when we know how toxic Tylenol can be?  Poopdeck, you said, "Come the end of the month they better not extend this craziness."  What if they do?  What is your plan of recourse?

He said Tylenol because there has been evidence that ibuprofen (advil/motrin) actually has made the virus worse for some people and Tylenol (acetaminophen) breaks fevers,  if you can keep your fever in check,  it may make it easier on your body to ride out the virus.

15 hours ago, Bazzer69 said:

Mark when I was a kid a knife grinder would come down the street and we would take out whatever we needed sharpened. That was seventy years ago. But here in Redding we have a visiting knife sharpener who doesn’t push a handcart but uses a small van to make a living. Mohammad and the mountain? Besides CARES will compensate you for lost business for four months. 

but let’s get back to fly tying!

Barry

Hi Barry, I have sold the tool sharpening business, two or three years ago, to go into full time knife making. I still make and sharpen a few custom cutting tools for industry. The store I speak of is a custom knife shop, and art gallery that we built so my wife could come to work with me in our "Store" If you are interested, you can check out our Face Book page here.

https://www.facebook.com/Edge-of-the-Arctic-Trading-Post-Custom-Knives-and-Art-Gallery-1279208402245738/?modal=admin_todo_tour

The store was our major source of income after Angel left her $60K job to work here. Everything was going fine until the virus. I'm not complaining, just answering the OPs original statement. He said- "I don't see how this COVID-19 is slowing down the economy" In a month, half a dozen people have walked into the store.

I'm not sure how "CARES" is going to compensate me for my lost business. As far as I know, there's only a $10,000.00 small business loan available to me as a small business owner. It costs a lot more than that to stay in business for just one month. Just to be clear, I'm not asking anyone to compensate me for my lost business. I am completely willing to and insisting on standing up on my own two feet.

Again, I'm not complaining. I take things as they come, one day at a time. This will pass and when it does we will pay our debts. Until then, our debtors will just have to wait. In the mean time I have four full freezers, (fish, caribou and moose) and a 50 pound bag of rice and a 50 pound bag of beans.

12 hours ago, petelangevin said:

He said Tylenol because there has been evidence that ibuprofen (advil/motrin) actually has made the virus worse for some people and Tylenol (acetaminophen) breaks fevers,  if you can keep your fever in check,  it may make it easier on your body to ride out the virus.

This

16 hours ago, Edward Snowden said:

My recourse is my standard do everything I can to vote the bums out of office. My recourse is to speak up and Not be silenced by the "like" crowd who believe wearing masks,  gloves and shutting the economy down is the answer. It's tiring being ridiculed and treated like a rebel, or an idiot, by a wave of facebookers who speak in cute little pictures and "likes" as they await pointless face mask legislation and updated death counts.  I will continue living with COVID19 which has been very easy to do. I have yet to get sick or pass the virus to anybody else and I supposedly live in the "epicenter" of the virus in PA.  It's been 5 or 6 weeks and our hospitals are empty while the likers all sit around waiting for the "surge." Insanity at its best. Treating the entire country as if it's NYC is shear stupidity. This is not one size fits all.  TWO SIMPLE RULES IS IT ALL TAKES yet politics and fear mongering rule the day. it's time to start getting on with life with COVID19. I was reading today that some idiot wants to close the country down for 18 months. That's some big brother stuff there. 

9 hours ago, Mark Knapp said:

Hi Barry, I have sold the tool sharpening business, two or three years ago, to go into full time knife making. I still make and sharpen a few custom cutting tools for industry. The store I speak of is a custom knife shop, and art gallery that we built so my wife could come to work with me in our "Store" If you are interested, you can check out our Face Book page here.

https://www.facebook.com/Edge-of-the-Arctic-Trading-Post-Custom-Knives-and-Art-Gallery-1279208402245738/?modal=admin_todo_tour

The store was our major source of income after Angel left her $60K job to work here. Everything was going fine until the virus. I'm not complaining, just answering the OPs original statement. He said- "I don't see how this COVID-19 is slowing down the economy" In a month, half a dozen people have walked into the store.

I'm not sure how "CARES" is going to compensate me for my lost business. As far as I know, there's only a $10,000.00 small business loan available to me as a small business owner. It costs a lot more than that to stay in business for just one month. Just to be clear, I'm not asking anyone to compensate me for my lost business. I am completely willing to and insisting on standing up on my own two feet.

Again, I'm not complaining. I take things as they come, one day at a time. This will pass and when it does we will pay our debts. Until then, our debtors will just have to wait. In the mean time I have four full freezers, (fish, caribou and moose) and a 50 pound bag of rice and a 50 pound bag of beans.

Mark, you have my sympathies for sure. I am mistaken about CARE , I thought it would do more than give loans. I assumed you were self employed, do they not get paid for lost earning?

i wish I could help you and others of course. I would love a new camp knife but on my retirement pension from the U.K. I probably would never be able to afford one of yours.  But keep your chin up, I would expect everything to turn out ok in the long run. 
regards

Barry

20 hours ago, petelangevin said:

This

I just ordered a bunch of hooks.  My wife is keeping Walmart going.  Actually our ER animal hospital grew over the last 30 days compared to the same month last year.  I have hired some people this month.

Glad to hear of all the efforts being made to assist small businesses around the country..

My small business (I’m the sole employee...) will not see a penny of that money - not a loan or any cash payment... We’ll survive but I doubt that my guiding business will come back very quickly at all since I’m certain that most of my anglers will not have any extra money for a fishing trip any time soon - and I’m talking about after things get going again...

Capt. Bob, Is there any good fishing down there in the winter months? I may start looking for a winter home down there come January. 

43 minutes ago, Poopdeck said:

Is there any good fishing down there in the winter months?

🙂            😃            😆               🤣

Poopdeck, my friend ... this is FLORIDA ... it is PARADISE!  We don't HAVE "winter".  Come on down !!!

But I'll let Bob fill in the details.  

3 hours ago, Capt Bob LeMay said:

Glad to hear of all the efforts being made to assist small businesses around the country..

My small business (I’m the sole employee...) will not see a penny of that money - not a loan or any cash payment... We’ll survive but I doubt that my guiding business will come back very quickly at all since I’m certain that most of my anglers will not have any extra money for a fishing trip any time soon - and I’m talking about after things get going again...

I'm in the same boat as you Bob (pun intended ;) ) Even though I'm a legit business and have been for the past 18 yrs or so, being the owner/sole worker I won't qualify for anything at all. And business is way down for sure. Normally I do 6-8 rods per month but since this started I have had exactly one rod order for the past month now. People just don't spend money when they can't work themselves.

Yep, hang in there.  You have a good reputation and the business will return... just not right away.

Guides in the Everglades have a strange set of seasons.  In summer, as our fishing gets better and better,  the customers get fewer and fewer... In truth you need to a tough hombre since it’s like fishing in the Amazon with clouds of mosquitoes, hot and very moist climate and bad thunderstorms every afternoon. When the weather finally moderates in the fall - it’s November but with “back to school” , both hunting and football season we only get a modest number of bookings.  Come December we see the first of the visitors and things begin to get moving.  All winter long we’ll have anglers and pretty good fishing that really heats up as we move into spring when we’re booked solid all the way into June.  Normally in April I rarely have a day off...

But not this year...

12 hours ago, Bazzer69 said:

Mark, you have my sympathies for sure. I am mistaken about CARE , I thought it would do more than give loans. I assumed you were self employed, do they not get paid for lost earning?

i wish I could help you and others of course. I would love a new camp knife but on my retirement pension from the U.K. I probably would never be able to afford one of yours.  But keep your chin up, I would expect everything to turn out ok in the long run. 
regards

Barry

Thank you Barry, I appreciate it. Don't worry, my chin IS up and we are going to be fine. You are right, I am self employed, and what that means is, I am in control of what I do to make this better for me, not my employer. I can apply for part of my paycheck, like everybody, but we do not get re-reimbursed for lost earnings. Why should we? Who is responsible for paying me for my lost earnings? No one, as far as I can see. That's the way it is and should be.

I'm using the time to catch up on my back log of custom knife orders. What I can do with my own two hands can not make up for what the pandemic is costing us but that's OK.  Thanks again, Mark

5 hours ago, Capt Bob LeMay said:

Same for me. But that's OK with me. I made all my own choices, for better or for worse.