Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
DarrellP

Covid closures

Our governor closed state reservoirs because dumbasses congregate on Sand bars and party.  All state park facilities in MS are closed.

Florida.

As far as I know, at this time, all State Parks are closed (gated) ... including any ramps on that property. 

All public ramps are still open ... but as busy as they are, I can see that being changed, too.  With the State-wide "Stay at home" order going into effect tonight at midnight ... the ramps might clear out a bit.  ANY outdoor activity that allows for "social distancing" is excluded from the Stay-at-Home order.

Connecticut open the trout season early,  strongly encouraging social distance fishing, do not see the elbow to elbow stream fishing,    yet, but the younger people that do fish are still close together and traveling together. Have not visited the shoreline for my white perch / sea-run trout spots.

31 minutes ago, cphubert said:

Connecticut open the trout season early,  strongly encouraging social distance fishing, do not see the elbow to elbow stream fishing,    yet, but the younger people that do fish are still close together and traveling together. Have not visited the shoreline for my white perch / sea-run trout spots.

Even more reason to be a fly fisher, most rods are much longer than 6'.  Time to pull out a two hander...go ahead get close to me and see what happens. LOL

Mike, I thought is was an official recommendation not an "order".  Did that change?

DeSantis made it official yesterday ... to go into effect tonight.  Yeah, it changed.    I'm not 🤢, but I understand the desire to stop the spread.

Obviously, people weren't washing their hands or wiping their butts before this pandemic, so let's keep THOSE people at home 'til they learn how to do it all proper like !!!

Just looked it up, enter Hoarding 2.0.  After scanning over the article I looked, I don't think much will change. I'd say it's more of a mostly flaccid lockdown.  Don't do anything unless there is a chance the state can collect some tax money off of it.  At least the kegger parties might be over for real now.

Guess I can still go fish the creek tomorrow, it's on the list of okay things.

Swamp

Alaska shut down all spring bear hunts, black bear and grizzly bear, resident and non-resident hunts. That seems a bit extreme to me. I understand the non-resident hunt because those are generally done in small tents with other people. But the resident hunts are generally a solitary thing, done by ones self.

Sorry for you folks with your ramps shut down. I guess its time to look for other places that aren't within a state park. Might find some new, really good places to fish.

The dumbass politicians in NJ just closed all ramps on the river because they saw boats out. This big brother we know best for you insanity is out of control and needs to end. I'm pissed, I'm embarrassed for us as a nation and I'm fed up with the dumb asses. I want to close down government so we can all get back to work and doing what we enjoy. 

At least they opened the resident bear hunts back up in Alaska. Bear hunting is a solitary thing. All our ramps and parks are still open for now. Of course, everything's still frozen too.

Down here in paradise (south Florida)... all the ramps along the east coast have been shut down for a few weeks now... Seems that once everyone no longer had a job to go to, a significant minority hooked up their boats and acted like it was Saturday and started the usual rafting up or gathering along one sandbar or other with the usual drinking, drugging, and clothing optional stuff... The very kind of behavior that long ago chased me away from my local waters (Biscayne Bay and the ICW from Ft Lauderdale all the way down to Key Largo) and sent me way back into the salt and brackish portions of the Everglades during daylight hours where the mosquitoes will make you pay for not wearing any clothing...  Local leaders were properly ticked off at such irresponsible behavior  and promptly shut down all access to the ramps as a result.  I swear our local party crowd would be holding a sandbar party on the day the world ended if they could... Don't even get me started about jet skis either... 

The good news for me is that just about all the ramps in the Ten Thousand Islands area (from Chokoloskee/Everglades City to the west towards Marco Island...) are still open and we've got miles and miles of places where you literally might not see another boat on the water all day long...  The bad news is that the only phone calls I'm getting from charter customers are cancellations - all the way into May so far.... This is prime time for fishing guides and most years I'll hardly have a day off during April so this is definitely hurting... By the very nature of the work most guides live a "social distancing" lifestyle - and to tell the truth older cranky guides like me are probably better off - the farther they are from other people so I doubt it will hurt anything.  Sure hope we get past these current problems far enough that we can all start going back to work...