Fly Tying

I currently use a lot of UTC thread but it seems like they are having some quality control problems.  So I'm looking for thread that is like UTC.  I like that you can spin it one way and it cords up but if I spin the tread the opposite way it flattens out. Does any one know of anther thread that has those characteristic? 

Danville Flymaster and Benecchi are both flat threads. Danville is waxed so not as slick as UTC or Benecchi. The Benecchi comes on kind of a funky spool that doesn't work too well with most bobbins.

Also... Uni makes something called Uni nylon, might try that. (It only comes in black & white, though.)

Even standard Uni thread still can be spun to cord/flatten it. Besides for silk threads and round nylon cord, it's the only thread I use for tying.

If you spin any non-woven, multi-strand thread it will twist until it's "cord".  Reversing direction will flatten it until you go past that point and it starts twisting into cord again.

The main difference in direction of spin is what happens to the thread as you wind it around the hook.  In one direction, it will continue to tighten as you wind it on. 

Spun in the other direction, it will "un-spin" as you wind it around the hook, becoming more flattened.

I use sewing thread for a lot of my flies, because I don't need it to be flat.  But I still let it spin out after wrapping several times around the hook, because I don't want it to become a hard, tightly twisted thread.  Letting it spin out keeps the thread softer and somewhat compressible.

3 minutes ago, mikechell said:

If you spin any non-woven, multi-strand thread it will twist until it's "cord".  Reversing direction will flatten it until you go past that point and it starts twisting into cord again.

The main difference in direction of spin is what happens to the thread as you wind it around the hook.  In one direction, it will continue to tighten as you wind it on. 

Spun in the other direction, it will "un-spin" as you wind it around the hook, becoming more flattened.

I use sewing thread for a lot of my flies, because I don't need it to be flat.  But I still let it spin out after wrapping several times around the hook, because I don't want it to become a hard, tightly twisted thread.  Letting it spin out keeps the thread softer and somewhat compressible.

What, you use sewing thread for fly tying? What kind of a heretic are you. You can't use sewing thread for fly tying, it's and insult to the art.😋

I know ... I got chased off trout stream when this guy in a plaid coat and deerstalker recognized the thread by seeing the head of one of my "Panfish Attractors".  What truly amazed me is, he could tell it was sewing thread from about 50 feet away!

But then he practically blew his top when he recognized the hook point as being an Eagle Claw hook from Walmart.

He pulled what looked like a red penalty card from soccer, fell over on the shoreline and started wailing like an unfed baby!

I left because I couldn't bear to listen to him any more.

Thanks guys!  I will try some of the suggestions above.

Thanks your comments as well Mark. Never thought about it that way.  Made me laugh. 

One of the few advantages of only tying for saltwater is that I rarely have to think about the thread I’m using. It’s Danville’s flat waxed nylon all day long - with one exception... For some of my work I actually use recycled monofilament in 4 or 6lb sizes (spooled directly onto empty thread spools from the spinning reel that’s holding it...).  Here's a pic of a bonefish bug done with mono instead of thread - it's the bottom left Charlie

jCYFglF.jpg

Very handy when you need a built up head that turns transparent after FlexCoat...

I have been happy with UNI thread. I got some Danville last month because they were out of UNI.  It is fine, too.  I guess I an not too picky.  Don't use anything smaller than 8/0  or 70 d.

On 4/19/2020 at 1:01 AM, Mogup said:

I like the UTC thread and use it about 80% of the time.

Mogup, I like UTC but have had issues with their tread for some reason lately so looking for other thread that I may like to use in it place. Up to this point though UTC is basically all I ever use.  Just looking into other treads and seeing what is out there.