Fly Tying
Landon P

Worst advice you could give

On 4/21/2020 at 1:31 PM, Flat Rock native said:

The worst advice would be to say “... there is no need to read tying books or journals, one can learn everything one needs to know from YouTube...”

Well, Davie McPhail has a YouTube page and has authored no books...

Honestly/obviously, there's value in both videos and books. Some things, in my humble opinion, can be better explained in a video than a still image. There's also this crazy concept of skipping around the video that I, personally, do a lot. I don't need to watch the 15 minute video if I just want to see how the wings are tied on that proverbial fly. Just a thought. And if you've never watched a Kelly Galloup video on YouTube, do yourself a favor and watch one. Yes, he'll take 45 minutes to tie a fly he can tie in 15...but he teaches constantly all along the way. You get a lot more knowledge from his videos than just how to tie the fly. 

As for another bit of poor advice, again only my opinion: anything speed-related to get you to tie a fly faster. Especially for a newbie, I think it's a lot more important to do something right than to do it fast. Focus on the getting it right part. Not putting down your scissors or prepping your material beforehand don't matter if the end result is not right or poorly done. 

"Watch every YouTube fly tying video you can on the subject"

Pick a fly, learn to tie it and then move on.  It you watch a bizzillion videos, you forget which fly you initially wanted to tie, and end up ordering lots of material because "that look's easy."  Eventually you forget which fly you started out tying.

Don't focus on one or two patterns at first. Tie one of every pattern you can find.  That way you learn every possible technique in the shortest possible time.

LOL  Is that were that picture comes from??  I've never seen the movie.  I just looked for blindfold pictures.😄

Not sure, but that was the first thing that popped into my head.  Never seen the movie either.

Swamp