Fly Tying
petelangevin

Anyone tinker with small engines?

I just got into getting old stuff running again.   Mostly tecomseh motors.   Just curious if anyone has tried the overseas replacement carbs?    Rebuilding an old one does not look too difficult but keeping my options open.   

I'm not sure what you mean by, "overseas replacement" carbs.  The designs for almost all small engine carburetors are pretty standard ... and it's such "old" technology that it'd be harder to find a "bad" carb.  I don't think you can go wrong, as long as the carb is designed to fit the engine you're working on.  That said, if you're making adapter plates, etc., to fit a carburetor that's NOT original design, then the ramifications go beyond the carb itself.

I've been involved in motorcycle and marine engines since '92.  Never had a new carburetor that didn't work.

If you can get the parts, rebuilding an existing carb is a good idea.  BUT ... after several attempts to get my 15 hp engine working by rebuilding the carb, I had to purchase a new one.  Some air leak I couldn't find was keeping it from working properly.  So, if the price difference isn't too bad, a new carb (even an aftermarket one) can be a time saver.

Good luck, either way.

Probably work just fine.  On the other hand, why are you rebuilding this engine?  Just for fun, and an occasional run?  Then the aftermarket should perform fine.  If you're building it for hard use, like a lawn mower used for commercial, everyday use ... then I'd probably recommend staying with the manufacturer's products.

I just got a free snowblower going  my old one died a year ago,  no more shoveling for this guy.   But i have an ancient generator that i want to resurrect for peace of mind.     Snow blower just needed a tune and lube but the generator has not been run in 20+ years.    

Ah ... most generators are low compression engines designed to run forever.  Low compression engines are also able to run on much poorer fuels than high compression or fuel injected types.

If it was my own generator,  I'd go with the least expensive option of kit or whole carburetor.

That's a neat little unit.  Worth the time, since those old, little engines were practically indestructible. 

But you might have to take the head off and bead hone the cylinder.  Easy enough on a side valve engine.

Well, 'tinker' isn't the work my wife uses. 

I have never had to use them, but have heard they get the job done.  Are you sure it needs rebuilding?  A good soak and light air hose are what I usually do.     

I don’t know if it does or not at this point,  it was put away empty.  I was just curious if anyone had tried chinese aftermarket carbs.   I have another motor that has never run right and was considering replacing or rebuilding the carb.

I bought a power washer with a Chinese motor and it runs flawlessly. I started out wanting one with a honda engine but went with a cub cadet with a Chinese motor because of the horizontal shaft and pump placement. I've had it for a couple years now and it runs flawlessly. Nothing wrong with Chinese carbs because, as Mike said, there really is not much to a carb. 

I think the one issue you will have with old motors is in the fuel lines. Back in the day they didn't have ethonal gas and it can screw up the old lines and cause problems in the carb. Also, I have found that old metal gas tanks tend to have rust and other funk causing problems you may think is a problem with the carb. 

I like the generator. While your at it, maybe you can add an axle and a set of wheels to that thing. 

10 hours ago, Poopdeck said:

old metal gas tanks

Yeah ... if you see a lot of rust in the tank ... get some Kreem.

https://www.amazon.com/Kreem-Products-Fuel-Liner-Combo-Pak/dp/B001J0DHZK

I've used it on old motorcycle tanks for years.  Done properly, the tank is good to go for years.

Humm, Mike that stuff isn't blue you feeling okay?!  JK  lol

Actually, I was a small engine mechanic when I was in middle and high school.  That was a long time ago though.  We didn't have tank liners like that and I haven't stayed current with the tech so thank you for posting that.  That will come in handy at some point.

Yes, I too have noticed that the after market carbs coming out of china are cheaper that the gasket kits for many carbs.  For around $20 you can find a "kit" that includes a carb, a couple of fuel filters, spark plug, enough fuel/return line to replace everything twice or more, a couple of primer bulbs, and even one of those %&7* specialty jet adjustment tools.  I have had some issues that needed addressing, like that the linkages are a little different and needed modification.  So far I have been always been able to make it work but it has been a close call a couple of times. 

The other issue is that many pieces of equipment just don't last (by design I'm starting to think).  I have over a mile of barbed wire cattle fencing that I have to clear at least once a year so I can patch/replace the wires that need it. My property gets flooded seasonally so that is no mean task with the vines and tough plants.  I have resigned myself to wearing out a trimmer every year to year and a half.  The internals of the engine just wear out even with using higher quality oil and going out of my way to not be abusive. So I buy cheap trimmers on sale and treat them like consumables.  I miss the days of things lasting more than a few years if you treated them reasonably well.

BTW who ever came up with the idea of using jets that need anything other than a small flat head screw driver to adjust them needs to be racked, drawn, quartered, shot, and then shot a second time for good measure!  Boy do I HATE those bloody things.  But I'm not bitter...

Swamp

😅 Yep ... specialty tool requirements for anything have always been a pet peeve of mine.  I don't care which manufacturer it is, they all make SOMETHING that requires a tool that only THEY sell.  Job security and all that.  Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. 😡

BUT ... now I only have to deal with it once in a while, as I have quite a tool box full of "home-made" alternatives to a lot of them.

Yep, my favorite specialty tool for those jets is a dremel and cut-off wheel so I can cut a slot for a screwdriver.  I too have a collection of those specialty tools.  They just seen to get sucked into another dimension the instance I need them only to reappear exactly where they should have been in the first place at a later date. I theory is they like to go party with the socks that never make it out of the clothes dryer.

Swamp