Fly Tying
Bryon Anderson

Nets coming along

With the encouragement of Bryon, and having the time, I have started my first net.  I have started with an old door from a remodel.

thumbnail-28.thumb.jpeg.b802e4b0f92ef74b99d470767ebd74af.jpeg

Then  bolted some clamping blocks.  I bolted them with the idea that I could mov e them in or out depending on the size of net I was building.  

thumbnail-23.thumb.jpeg.b4247fa5f4ff4c1bd6f2d58748622aea.jpeg

From there I glued my veneers of Maple and Walnut. 

thumbnail-22.thumb.jpeg.a79bea77db0f82856d8193ce2cc56a09.jpeg

Added a few more clamps, now I'm waiting for the glue to dry.  

Michael

If I may, a suggestion:

net.jpg

I just think nets with a smooth transition look much more ... finished.

Very nice.  Appreciate you keeping this updated, looking forward to future progress.  

thumbnail-9.thumb.jpeg.2b8f526c3c204fe0c4e0652992ec23fd.jpeg

thumbnail-26.thumb.jpeg.b1991d72db4bec9f828ab5c4f571f489.jpeg

Gluing the handle to the hoop.  Take notice of the small blocks at the top and the bottom of the first picture.  These are additional supports to get the hoop to press against the handle.  I think next time I will glue the veneers and the handle all in one step.  I can see how it would save a lot of time.  

Mikechell, I am going to see if I can get the hoop to blend into the handle so it looks appealing.

Michael

Ah yes.  I agree with you it is gorgeous.  Almost looks as though they added Turquoise to the epoxy.  I have some woodworking friends that have done river tables, however I have not seen anyone do this on a net until now.  Gives me an idea.  I know where there is some crotched cherry that is checking.  This might be something to do with that.

Glad to be of assistance.  Better hop to it!  When my garage is done in a few months, woodworking is one of my planned hobby upgrades and working with laminating is high on the list.

6 hours ago, mikechell said:

Glad to be of assistance.  Better hop to it!  When my garage is done in a few months, woodworking is one of my planned hobby upgrades and working with laminating is high on the list.

That is going to be realy cool. A new building and a new hobby to use it for. Can't wait to see what comes out of it.