Fly Tying
Bryon Anderson

Nets coming along

I like those handles.  I really like that finished net with the copper dots in the handle.  Very unique.

Where are you getting your stabilized wood blanks from?

1 hour ago, mikechell said:

I like those handles.  I really like that finished net with the copper dots in the handle.  Very unique.

Where are you getting your stabilized wood blanks from?

I've been getting my stabilized burls and other figured woods from a Facebook group where people sell such things. Here's a nice piece of Turkish Walnut I scored last weekend 🙂

20200617_222545.jpg

I like 4/4 for both the handle and the laminations. (That big chunk of walnut in the photo I posted is over 2" thick; that will get resawed and I'll get two handles out of it.) 

With 3/4, I feel like, after rounding over the edges and all the sanding, I'm left with a net that feels a little delicate and flimsy to my hand. 

5 hours ago, Bryon Anderson said:

Michael, I wish I could find some Hickory locally. The green handle is Ash with Box Elder burl. The blue one is curly maple with maple burl. Both sets of lamination strips are Ash and Cherry.

I keep trying to find Hickory; it's a favorite of mine. The only place I can find it is Menards, but they only have 3/4 boards and I like 4/4 

Try https://www.hearnehardwoods.com/

They have 4/4 Hickory and over 100 species of wood in stock and recently opened back up June 6th.

https://www.hearnehardwoods.com/price-list/#_hickory

Thanks fshng2 -- the place looks great, but the hurdle for me would be this:

We have a $300 dollar minimum on all lumber mail orders.

seeing as I'm typically buying only one or two boards at a time, and I live in Michigan...I appreciate the suggestion though! 🙂

What are you referencing when you write 4/4 ... 5/4 ... etc.?  When I first saw it, I figured 4"x4" ... but I no longer think that.

9 hours ago, mikechell said:

What are you referencing when you write 4/4 ... 5/4 ... etc.?  When I first saw it, I figured 4"x4" ... but I no longer think that.

It references true size of the lumber unlike a 2" by 4" which is actually 1.5" by 3.5". Keeps the confusion down. 

On 6/20/2020 at 2:30 AM, vicente said:

Bryon since you're on Facebook this is the guy I get lots of my stabilized and hybrid handle material, if you ever want a custom block done he'll do a good job.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/1964526663804248/?ref=group_header&view=group

Awesome, thank you! I'm actually picking up a large maple burl tonorrow that will need to be stabilized.

8 hours ago, Bryon Anderson said:

Awesome, thank you! I'm actually picking up a large maple burl tonorrow that will need to be stabilized.

Glen can probably do it for you, or k&g stabilizing does really good work.

Just so you guys know I've got a net on order from Bryon and am looking forward to it getting here sometime after the 4th. Just might inspire me to do a trout trip but the resurgence of Captain Trip around the country thanks to primarily young people at bars, beaches, nightclubs, and various other unmasked outlets of their energetic virus spraying I may still have to hold off for awhile. The county I live in in OK is still the only county in OK with NO cases. 65 tested for various reasons and all negative. Wife and I actually go down to our local bar and play some pool and visit with no social distancing or masks but 1st case shows up in county and that ends.